New Sand Substrate

jimmyringo

Fish Crazy
Joined
Aug 11, 2008
Messages
300
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Derry,Ireland
Hi,

I changed my substrate last night from gravel to sand.I washed it thoroughly but its still very cloudy,which i know is common,but while i'm waiting for it to settle ,should i turn my filter off or keep it on? Its a 30 gallon tank with an Eheim 2213 external filter.I've raised the filter intake to about 1 1/2 inches above the sand level.
 
Half a bucket at a time,in the bath.Ran the cold tap into it,swirling it every now and then,til it ran clear.Took about 20 mins per bucket.
The water was already in the tank when the sand went in,which is why i think its taking longer to settle.

Filter on/off ?
 
Put the filter on, if the intake it close to the sand, just raise it a little so it doesnt suck up the sand, the cloudyness will disperse after a couple of days, keep an eye on the water stats for a while, just to make sure they are good, as sometimes removing the gravel can cause a small cycle as you would have released some of the yukky stuff into the water, its not usually a big problem.
 
Thanks.I've had the filter on ,just wasn't sure.I took the gravel out a couple of days ago and kept an eye on the water just in case.I had problems with my gravel so it had to go.And i've been looking for an excuse to change to sand !!
 
I'm looking to change my substrate soon to sand in my tropical, the cloudiness sounds right if it was added with water in the tank, happened to my saltwater.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top