New pond--one step closer

koimom

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Well, it looks like we have a winner (for our koi pond plan)!
At least, I hope so at this point. The pond will be 12' horizontal X 19'vertical X 4'deep, roughly 6,840 gallons. The bio filter will be 4' X 7' X 4'deep, roughly 840 gallons, and located at the top right of the pond rectangle. The pond will be raised to 18" high, tall enough to sit at the side and hand feed the koi kids. ;) A rock waterfall that will be 3' tall above the 18" and 6 foot wide will be in the middle of the top of the rectangle. The pond will be located outside the kitchen/dinette windows for viewing, and the patio will be extended to the edge of the pond for entertaining. The pond will be gunnite with 9" thick walls, and sealed with 1/4" of plaster mix and one coat of black ccolored Thoroseal. The pond top work will either be wall caps or flagstone, and we're considering river rock for the sides. The bio filter is a down flow with pea gravel. There will be probably 2 bottom drains. Suggested is a 1/3 H.P. Artesian PerformancePro pump, an Ultima ll 20,000 Media Bead filter, a 120 watt Aqua Ultraviolet light, and a Lily Pad Skimmer. We'll also have a pond auto fill. I'm double checking these because I wonder if a a larger H.P. pump and larger wattage U.V. light might be better--what do you think?
In order to get to this point we've got to move the swingset, have trees trimmed/removed, get water and electrical in place, and pull all the necessary engineering and building permits. We'll need to get an engineer going on the pond cover, which is to be stepped down from the balcony as well. And then there will be all the landscaping to get done... :fun:
WHEW! All this and my Dad's surgery, too! Guess if we get through this summer it will definitely be time to get the Moet & Chandon and celebrate! :hyper:

Good plan, sounds great, can't wait to see the finished pond! :)

Thats a large pond ,I'd love a massive one in the garden. :rolleyes:

Take lots of pictures to show us. :thumbs:

wow that sounds great.

just to clear thing up a bio filter thing on that scale. Is it having lots of plants and no fish in one pond that then leads via a waterfall into the main pond right?

You will have to do a before an after pic of the garden.

I have a fibre glass one which is about 350g's and a raised concrete one which is about 150g's I think.

Trying to get the parents to build another separate pond of about 2500g's.

I suggested to my dad about making a bigger pond :thumbs:
He's thinking about it.

Paul there is a make called Bio filters which are mechanical filters, do you mean one of these Koimom? Or just a Biological filter, I have one of these on my 10,000 above the waterfall.

It is a good idea to use a biological filter because the bacteria that converts harmful nitrogen into less harmful nitrates occurs naturally in nature's lakes and streams. We build biological filter systems is to increase the available surface area for these bacteria to colonize. Rock is an economical and the most common media used in pond filters. Because of rock's low cost and availability, it is a good material to use for a biological filter media. But rock or crushed gravel is not the only material that can be used as a filter media. Any material that bacteria can attach to is suitable for a filter media. Plants are also often used as they play an important role in the Nitrogen Cycle and can aid in the breakdown of nitrogen in our ponds. :) In a koi pond these bacteria are also found on the walls of our ponds and in the substrate on the bottom. They also can be found on the inside walls of the pond filter or pump systems, attached to the skimmer basket, and on the rocks that form a waterfall.

I have a fibre glass one which is about 350g's and a raised concrete one which is about 150g's
paul your ponds look quite large im asuming there not very deep ,and as for you koimom grrrrr ok im jelouse :alien: id love one that size but the wife says 8x6 and no larger ,looks like im gonna have to lay on the charm

:S it's like science leasons all over again. In our filter with bio-logical rings for that point and there's always worms curled up in them.

Yer our ponds are quite large in width etc but the top pond/convrete pond is only 1ft deep and the fibre glass/bottom pond is tad under 2ft i think. I think the concrete pond is about 5x5 to put it in perspecktive (sp)

I think my dad would like larger pond, he was playing with the idea when we drove round to a few garden centers a while back!!! But mum doesn't want another pond :(

Never mind Bribones our fish will grow nice and big soon.

I would love a pond that big. Mine is 12' x 6'. Maybe the next one i build will be that big. :hey:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back