new planted tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Rick147

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I want to start learning about plants etc and start a second tank. I would like to keep the water the same chemistry as my first tank incase I need to move some growing blue/rainbow cichlids for the short term. Where do I start? I was thinking of buying the exact setup I have now (3ft tank hangon seachem filter)

Do I setup with all the plants I like with rocks etc, and then just fill up? I will include a photo just so you have an idea of what I was thinking.
I wanted the gravel (or sand??) to still be mostly exposed and not heaps of built up plants, I do like the shorter plants aswell not long (tall)
especially like the grass and mosses.
2012-67-01-big.jpg

The planted side of the hobby is really interesting, not just for growing plants but also the creative outlet it allows.

The example you have shared is a pretty good starting point as most of the plants are quite easy to get started with. So in the picture on the left you have some Vallisnera which is really easy to grow, sometimes slow to get started but once it sends out runners you get loads of new shoots really quickly. Behind the wood I can see some Limnophilla Sessiflora, again really easy plant to grow and the grass plant on the right looks like a tall Cryptorcoryne possibly a Crispulata? Crypts are really easy to grow but really slow so that plant is probably quite mature. On the wood and the rock we have I think Java Moss but well trimmed as it can go a bit crazy, on the left side of the wood is a type of Java Fern, I think Wendelove. In the front of the rock on the right is Anubias which is again slow growing but pretty robust. The only tricky plant in here is the short grass at the front which is Dwarf Hair Grass, but there are easier grass type plants like Dwarf Sagittaria and a few others.

This tank is also interesting as you can see the cosmetic sand at the front area but also the darker substrate under the sand which is aquarium soil, which is a nutrient rich substrate to help plants grow. Some people dont care for it but I think its good, you just need to be careful as for the first week or two it does leech ammonia into the water, which can help cycle a filter but needs to be kept on top of for any fish in there and also prevent algae.

The key to any good aquascape is getting the hardscape right, a lot of people often undersize their hardscape as to not take up too much room, when in reality most of the fish we keep will appreciate the extra cover so try and get wood and rocks that will make an impact and hopefully add height up the tank like this one does.

There are two sides to this part of the hobby too, high tech and low tech. High tech uses really bright (expensive) lights, Co2 injection and lots of fertiliser. Low Tech simply uses moderate lighting and some fertiliser. Low tech can still look like high tech it just takes longer and you dont have as much choice with plants.

Make sure you check out some of the aquascaping youtube channels to get started. George Farmer is the best place to start but check out Green Aqua and MD Fish Tanks too.

Wills

I had actually just come across md tanks on YouTube.

I was thinking of just staring a tank as normal (but with plants) purchasing plant I can see myself at local aquariums and then building from there?

Atleast then I can get a hang on aquascaping but also slowly get a spare tank for emergency use for fish

I had actually just come across md tanks on YouTube.

I was thinking of just staring a tank as normal (but with plants) purchasing plant I can see myself at local aquariums and then building from there?

Atleast then I can get a hang on aquascaping but also slowly get a spare tank for emergency use for fish

I'd set up your substrates and hardscapes first as that means you dont need to replant when you get the plants. Have a look at your local stores but it is often best to order them online for a better selection.

Wills

If the photo above is of your first tank, then you are a master and you don't need any help, just encouragement to continue! And certainly congratulations. It is gorgeous and well controlled (as judged by the well trimmed Java moss and overall look).
I use PFS (pool filter sand) and I like it and have had good results. It is easy to find at hardware stores, at least in the US. I am not one to spend hard gotten money in gimmicks from aquarium store suppliers. One needs to look at the composition, as a few brands mix carbonate materials, which I would avoid (depending of the type of aquarium and fish/plants desired). To the sand, I add a few largish pebbles and rocks, individually strewn about (for looks, not really otherwise), and root tabs to support individual plants.

If the photo above is of your first tank, then you are a master and you don't need any help, just encouragement to continue! And certainly congratulations. It is gorgeous and well controlled (as judged by the well trimmed Java moss and overall look).
I use PFS (pool filter sand) and I like it and have had good results. It is easy to find at hardware stores, at least in the US. I am not one to spend hard gotten money in gimmicks from aquarium store suppliers. One needs to look at the composition, as a few brands mix carbonate materials, which I would avoid (depending of the type of aquarium and fish/plants desired). To the sand, I add a few largish pebbles and rocks, individually strewn about (for looks, not really otherwise), and root tabs to support individual plants.

Noooo, definitely not my tank lol. I wanted to start one however like this. Not to overcrowded with plants, rocks and drift.
Just short growing plants and grass

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back