New Micro Tank! (13 L Tank) Where Do I Start?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Also, you may want to place your heater horizontally so that it does not get accidentally exposed when cleaning/doing water changes. With time, you'll get the scape to look like what you want. You just have to be "one" with it for a little while and it'll tell you where it wants to go.

Here is a picture of my 3 gal. trying to be rainforest. The lobelia, crypt and vesuvius had root tabs when I started. They now feed from fish and snail waste so I do not fertilize regularly anymore.

1610560341268.png

Hi there, I bought a 13L tank (3.5 g) a while back but after having a bit of a problem with my 110L tank I never got to even taking it out of the box! I've done a good amount of fish keeping in the past but I need to be positive that I'm doing things right when setting up this new tank. It has a suitable filter, I have an airstone and tubing, a bag of almost white sand and of course declinator and other tank regulation chemicals. I want to have all live plants in my tank, and when it comes to fish I have no clue where to even start. I've read that bettas are good for small tanks some places and others saying they need big ones. I've read that neon tetras or guppies are good but I've read they need a large tank too, lots of rambled info I have no clue about. Anyways, I have the tank on a table and I've done absolutely nothing so far. Haven't even taken the rocks out of the bag or bought any plants or décor, a fully fresh start. If anyone is reading this, I'd love to know the steps to take to start this tank in order to add fish or other aquatic things to add (Like snails or shrimp or something),list of things to buy, and really anything that will get this planted tank started and ready for fish at some point. Thanks for the help! I'll also post a pic of the tank, rocks, and things I bought. ***Also if this tank is to small for really anything please tell me so i can take it back or turn it into something like a plant nursery***

View attachment 126093View attachment 126094View attachment 126095

SHOPPING LIST:
Heater
Air Pump
I have a tank almost identical to that one

Wow... that tank looks a lot better than mine, I hope to some day make a tank that good! But in the meantime... I need to deal with my own tanks problems. First of all my water is tinting orange. I would assume it is from the driftwood but I soaked it for 2 days strait constantly changing out the water and I boiled it too. Is that harmful of will a few water changes sort that out. Also my plants seem to already be dying, so that’s not good. They are turning a bit yellow and some are getting brown. What do I do? Thanks for the help!

Some woods release tannins for a while, even after boiling. It should not cause any harm, and eventually clears out.

It is possible your plants are going through initial meltdown while they acclimatize. Watch for new growth as your tank cycles and they start taking nutrients in. Make sure water temperature is in range for them. Keep the light on for 8 hours a day in order to avoid algae.

Patience is key, it takes time... :)

Last edited:
Thought I might make a small update. Its been 4 days since setup and things are still going well. The color of the water is starting to clear up, the plants seem to be doing well, and the moss seems to be growing already! I'm planning to get a few foreground plants soon but haven't found anything I like yet. Only one question today and that is about how long I should wait to add fish? I know i need to wait a while but how long? I'd love to have a betta and some snails maybe too. I'm not sure exactly but recommendations are more than welcome. Thanks to everyone helping me through this fun build! I'd love to have a betta and some snails maybe too. I'm not sure exactly but recommendations are more than welcome.

If your other plants are showing growth it means you have nitrates. Test your parameters and if they read Ammonia: 0 ppm, Nitrites: 0 ppm and Nitrates less than 20 ppm your tank is cycled and ready for fish. Wait on the snails as they will increase the bioload.

Thanks for the info! I think I'm going to go with a betta but still am not sure.

Why not either put a few Clown Killifish into it or a pair of Chocolate Gouramis. They might spawn.

Most reactions

Back