New Micro Tank! (13 L Tank) Where Do I Start?

OK. One thing that's going to confuse you on a forum like this, or any other type of on-line research, is that there are a LOT of different ways to grow plants, and all of them work to varying degrees. So, I'm going to tell you how I do it. There are other ways. Some people insist their way is the only way and the other ways are stupid. I think these people are being a bit silly. :) It's worth researching the different methods/philosophies and deciding what's right for you.

I like soil under sand for a lot of reasons, some simple, some complicated. Simply, I think soil substrates are more natural, support a more diverse community of microbes, and last a very long time. For the complicated reasons, read "Ecology and the Planted Aquarium" by Diane Walstad. Not light reading, but really fascinating if you want to get ultra-nerdy about this stuff.

So, here's how I do it. First, you need to have a good, medium-to-bright light fixture. This can be as fancy as a $100+ LED fixture, or as simple as a couple bright clip-on shop lights. I generally use the TLAR (That Looks About Right) method for choosing light fixtures; I don't know a lot about lumens and all that; maybe someone else can elaborate. If all else fails, buy an off-brand off amazon that gets good reviews for growing plants.

If you're going to put in any hardscape (driftwood, rocks) put it in first, then put the substrate in around it. It looks more natural that way, and your bottom feeders won't crush themselves when they burrow under a big rock. If you want to use wood, there are some other things you need to do.

For substrate, I use about one inch of soil capped with one inch of sand. Use an organic potting soil with no added fertilizers. I like Miracle Grow Organic or similar. For sand you can use aquarium sand from a pet store, but there are cheaper, and maybe even better, options. Play sand is readily available from hardware/home stores, and safe. I've used black blasting sand and it has always worked out well, even for cories, but others say it's dangerous, so there you go.

Once the substrate is in, I add a few inches of water, and the plants. Where to order plants? Well...amazon and ebay are often the least expensive options, but you risk introducing unwanted critters. I tend not to mind unplanned critters, myself. The Wet Spot in Portland sells really good plants. There are other dealers. If you're using java ferns, anubias, or mosses, you don't plant them in the substrate. You attach them to wood or rocks. I have found that the easiest way is to superglue them directly on right before I fill the tank.

Once the plants are in, I let everything settle for around six weeks to two months. Read up on something called "silent cycling." Again, there are other ways; this is just how I do it. It's worth testing for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates to make sure your cycle is working. By around the end of week six, the plants should be growing well, the soil chemistry/biology will have stabilized, and you should be ready to add critters to a ready-to-go, stable habitat.

That's a bit of a simplification, of course (I have to wrap this up and get the Badgerling to bed), but it's a start. If you want to approach it this way, holler with more questions.

Thank you so much for all of that beautiful info! I'll get to work after I find some soil!

Ok update time! I went to the petstore and I spent a good 30 minutes having a panic attack in the aquarium isle and I ended up getting a 38L (10G) aquarium. I think this will be good space for a fish and I assume easier to maintain. I still really want to go for a well planted look and being my first tank that's made for plants I obviously don't know what to do. I read that its good to put like potting soil under the gravel? Is that true? What fish do I go with (I like the idea of a betta with some kind of bottom feeder like a snail but I'm not sure if they like a sandy substrate with moss and stuff). Also, what kind of cycle do I do and when do I introduce the plants and fish? Once again, I have all of the things I need to set it up but I haven't started yet, another blank slate to work from. Thanks!

Side note, I like the plant ideas of Java moss, small crypts, and dwarf sag, in addition to some kind of floating plant but I'm not sure where I would buy these plants and what kind of floating plants to get. Any recommendations would be great.
Amazon frogbit would be a easy one to get along with duckweed. Have you looked at amazon swords or anubias?

Amazon frogbit would be a easy one to get along with duckweed. Have you looked at amazon swords or anubias?
Full-size swords will take over a ten gallon tank. But some of the smaller ones are nice, maybe a melon sword for a centerpiece.

So I bought some driftwood, got some stones from my backyard (I'll testy them to make sure they're safe). I got some Java moss, some small amazon swords and a small java fern. I'll wait until I receive the plants to buy more if I want. Maybe some anubias and a small grasslike plant? Not sure, but ill figure it out when I see the ones I ordered.

The only small, grasslike plant I've ever had any luck with is dwarf Sagittaria. Most of the rest require high light to fill in. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing how this comes together. I can feel your excitement from here. :)

Yeah haha I'm so exited. I set it up on the table today and I think it'll look great. I'm thinking of using a background, a plain color that will make the plants and colors pop, like a black maybe? I'll figure that out later though. Also, I've been researching silent cycling and i cant find anything about it but I did find a lot of stuff about fishless cycles. Are they the same thing? Thanks so much for helping me through this prosses I really appreciate it!

Here's a good overview of the major issues involved with soil substrate. I don't think the screen cover over the dirt is necessary, but it doesn't hurt.
The Soil Substrate or Dirted Planted Tank - A How to Guide | UK Aquatic Plant Society (ukaps.org)

Here's some information about cycling. Theoretically, if you have a ton of fast-growing plants, you can immediately add fish. But I find that soil substrates give off a lot of ammonia for a few weeks before they stabilize. So, I basically do a fishless cycle, but without adding ammonia. The soil also adds a lot of CO2 to the mix, which really helps the plants get going.
Cycling a Planted Tank | Rex's Guide to Planted Tanks (rotalabutterfly.com)

Oh goodness! Yesterday was the day that setup happened! I had been soaking and cleaning the drift wood for a few days, found some rocks in my backyard, tested them to make sure they were safe, and got my soil and sand. I put in all of the components and I'm not super happy with how it came out but since this is my first ever planted tank... I think it looks alright. I'm thinking of putting in some more ground plants and plants to cover the stems of the plants in the back in the future and a black poster board for the background, but other than that I'm done. Now I'm wondering what is next? I read a lot about the use of a fertilizer, should I be using one of those? Thanks again for all the help!
IMG_6282.jpeg

Oh goodness! Yesterday was the day that setup happened! I had been soaking and cleaning the drift wood for a few days, found some rocks in my backyard, tested them to make sure they were safe, and got my soil and sand. I put in all of the components and I'm not super happy with how it came out but since this is my first ever planted tank... I think it looks alright. I'm thinking of putting in some more ground plants and plants to cover the stems of the plants in the back in the future and a black poster board for the background, but other than that I'm done. Now I'm wondering what is next? I read a lot about the use of a fertilizer, should I be using one of those? Thanks again for all the help!View attachment 126667
A black background would look really cool in that tank. I have anacharis in the back of my tank which has gotten so tall it is pretty much acting as a floating plant whilst still being rooted. I dose the tank once a week with some plant growth. I will post on the weekend what it looks like.

Looking very nice. Your Java ferns should not be buried in the substrate, though. Tie or glue them to the hardscape.

Great job! The black background is going to make it come alive.

Sounds good! Would the java fern be ok with being attached to a rock and then i burry the rock or do they need their roots exposed?

They are epiphytes, so their roots should be exposed. The epiphytes will benefit from liquid fertilizer since they feed from the water column, the plants in the substrate can use root tabs.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back