The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Aussie Perry

Reaction score
G'day,
I have two large Tanks 1 Tropical Fish the other Goldfish Tanks in my Lounge Room. I have also Cherry Shrimps in my laundry. I am 78 years old and have had fish for the past 20+ years. I maintain them so that they are really Clean & Clear. I enjoy it when my friends visit as they always have a better look at what new fish I have. My 3 year old granddaughter cannot find the Tiny Mermaid that hides behind the plants.
I have a question I would like to ask the forum.
I have three fully grown Bristlenose Catfish. I was chasing a male for months. I put ads in the paper, Gumtree and was not able to obtain one. A friend and I was talking and he had fish he needed to sell as he was moving interstate. He had only one Bristlenose and that was a male. It has been in the tank with the females & other fish. This morning I noticed the male in a cave with about 30 eggs. I am worried that I might lose the babies if they hatch the other fish will have them for dinner. Please could somebody tell me what I should do? I have small empty tanks that I could transfer the cave to but I do not think that seems a good idea. I would appreciate any help please. If there is a Web Site I could go to that would also be helpful.
Cheers Perry

G'day,
I have two large Tanks 1 Tropical Fish the other Goldfish Tanks in my Lounge Room. I have also Cherry Shrimps in my laundry. I am 78 years old and have had fish for the past 20+ years. I maintain them so that they are really Clean & Clear. I enjoy it when my friends visit as they always have a better look at what new fish I have. My 3 year old granddaughter cannot find the Tiny Mermaid that hides behind the plants.
I have a question I would like to ask the forum.
I have three fully grown Bristlenose Catfish. I was chasing a male for months. I put ads in the paper, Gumtree and was not able to obtain one. A friend and I was talking and he had fish he needed to sell as he was moving interstate. He had only one Bristlenose and that was a male. It has been in the tank with the females & other fish. This morning I noticed the male in a cave with about 30 eggs. I am worried that I might lose the babies if they hatch the other fish will have them for dinner. Please could somebody tell me what I should do? I have small empty tanks that I could transfer the cave to but I do not think that seems a good idea. I would appreciate any help please. If there is a Web Site I could go to that would also be helpful.
Cheers Perry
Welcome! I only have male BN Plecos so I know very little. However, I do know of a member who had the same situation. She moved the Dad and the cave of eggs to a bare bottom nursery tank. The Dad protected the eggs until they hatched. I don’t remember if they moved the Dad out after hatching though. Anybody else?

Hi I've had a couple of batches of baby bristlenoses at both times mum and dad stayed with mine, in the tank I also have boraras, killifish and inverts. I didn't lose any of my babies, but I suppose it would depend on the size of other fish in the tank.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Hello, and welcome to the forum! :hi:

As @Deanasue said, I only have male BN plecos so I can’t help you, sorry.

I hope to see you around! :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back