New Member From Bournemouth

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Alexarium

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello everyone, nice to be here.

I have been reading aquaria forums for several months now.
Got lots of patience (which has always paid back in the end), so I am going to take it really slow.

Got me a new AquaNano 40 and my plan is to create a planted tropical tank with Cardinal Tetras or Guppys, a nerite snail and one or more red cherry shrimps.

I still haven't even bought a water testing kit (I'll go for the API Master Test Kit). I did buy a bucket though...
ohmy.png
)

I am after a very specific look, a tree on a rock, or a cave, which is inspired by some exceptional tanks below which I found while searching on the net...

ebgc.jpg

p08v.jpg

d5gx.jpg

o8n5.jpg

Lots of things to do, plan and organise...

Cheers

Alex

Ah a budding aquascaper, welcome!

Just down the road from me also, I live in Salisbury :)
We have a section dedicated to Planted Tanks and Planted Nano Tanks which you've probably discovered already.
Tropica's website is a good place to start with learning about it all with an A-Z on plants and how to begin.
They also have an awesome phone app (just search Tropica) if you have a smart phone which takes you through day by day on what to do.
90-step guide to a planted tank :D

Anything else, feel free to give us a shout.

Oh, thanks Fishaholic, I wasn't aware of Tropica, it's a wonderful site!
Lots of reading to do there, I was actually looking for a site that has info on plants as I don't like to leave anything to chance. Plus, I'd like to avoid CO2 if possible.
I will certainly download their app!

Thank you so much!

oh damn i want a tree tooooo!!!!!!

Another local-ish member, nice.

You've got Sophie up the road in Salisbury, and me along the road in Portsmouth. And DrRob a bit further afield in Bath. The south of England is taking over the world!

Welcome to the forum, Alex.

the_lock_man said:
Another local-ish member, nice.

You've got Sophie up the road in Salisbury, and me along the road in Portsmouth. And DrRob a bit further afield in Bath. The south of England is taking over the world! TFF!

Welcome to the forum, Alex.
FYP. ;)

Welcome future aquascaper!

Thank you all for your warm welcome.

Just bought online the API Freshwater Master Test kit, a 250ml bottle of Seachem Prime and a little bottle of Kleen Off Household Ammonia.

I've found a lot of articles of fishless cycling on the net, but I think the one I understand most is this one.
Is this the one you have all followed when you were doing your first tank?

Its the one I used.  There will be an even better one coming soon... just not sure when.

Thank you eaglesaquarium. I'll probably not wait for the new version, unless you'll advise me to.
Is it going to be completely different?

And another thing: I need to find out exactly what plants, rocks, substrate and wood I need to achieve the above look, and then start the fishless cycle.
Advice is very very welcome, of course.

Unfortunately a lot of tanks that use heavy carpeting plants like the pictures you posted will need co2 :(
Have a little look at a gent called Takashi Amano - he is the God of aquascaping. I would also recommend picking up Pratical Fishkeeping for the aquascaping articles each month, they're really interesting. Pop onto YouTube also, a haven for scaping guides recently :)

1.9l of API stress zyme is £17 on amazon, plus the master test kit is £20 on there too if you wana save some money ;-)

laurac94 said:
1.9l of API stress zyme is £17 on amazon, plus the master test kit is £20 on there too if you wana save some money ;-)
Why the stress zyme? :eek:

laurac94 said:

Got the API for £16.95 (shipped) here

I assume the stress zyme is to make the fishless cycle go faster, isn't it?
If that's the case, I'll prefer to let everything go slow (gives extra time for planning 
yes.gif
), but thanks anyway!

Sophie said:
Unfortunately a lot of tanks that use heavy carpeting plants like the pictures you posted will need co2
sad.png

Have a little look at a gent called Takashi Amano - he is the God of aquascaping. I would also recommend picking up Pratical Fishkeeping for the aquascaping articles each month, they're really interesting. Pop onto YouTube also, a haven for scaping guides recently
smile.png

Oh, I have seen so much of Amano I think I know him personally by now...

Do you think that without CO2 what I'm trying to achieve is impossible?  
unsure.png

I am mainly thinking of Tropica 1-2-Grow Eleocharis sp. 'mini' and Vesicularia Dubyana

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Whoops I meant API stress coat;-) it's just the dechlorinator I use, good brand and it gives the bullied fish some more protection, I keep piranha so I need something good ;-) works well for my tetra too if they nip. A big bottle is loads loads cheaper than the small ones (overall lol)

Oh my, I just realised "Fishaholic" is a forum ranking... sorry Sophie! 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back