New Member From Bournemouth

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
You can stop boiling it and allow it to cool down.  When it cools it will close some of the pores that have opened and the rate at which it releases the tannins will slow greatly.

OK, I probably will, otherwise my cooker will grow feet and run away from me...
blink.png

It's the only thing left until I take my tank out off its box and start aquascaping it.

Do you think I should let it cool and then re-boil it though?
lookaround.gif

Nah.  I like the tannins.  They are harmless.  They are a tonic to some fish.  Some people don't like the look though, and you seem to be in that camp. If you leave carbon in your filter (not usually recommended, but this is one of the cases that it does have a purpose), the tannins will be adsorbed by the carbon.  Water changes and changing the carbon when you notice the yellow tint returning will keep it under wraps. 

The rate at which it will leach out tannins will slowly diminish until its really unnoticeable.

Thank you so much eaglesaquarium.
Can I buy some small piece of carbon or does it have to be an exact size according to the tank's capacity?
Pardon my ignorance please.

You generally buy it in bulk and can put it into a mesh bag into the filter.  Some filters have cartridges that already contain it.

What filter do you have?

Can you post a picture?  

We sell the AquaNano 40 at work - It has the weir style filtration on the back.

6708347169_510edd8251_z.jpg

You could buy a bag of carbon and place it above the white ceramic biomedia in the middle, or anywhere it has access to water and won't restrict the flow. Maybe in front of the intake if not in the centre.

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/carbon-nets-by-fluval-25638

Pre-bagged carbon like the example above works well, could find it cheaper but that's the only brand I know of as I've used it.

Thanks Sophie.  These UK brands are tough for me. ;)

Ok, got the Carbon (and a 4" net) today.

ht1g.jpg

Also went to Homebase and bought some green rock, as I couldn't find a rock the shape I'd like it to be in the LFS.
Boiling it now.

t23f.jpg

It's so exciting to prepare a tank step by step. I think that's a big part of the beauty of this hobby.
As soon as I boil the stones and let them cool, I'll start aquascaping and post some photos here.

You're quite obsessed with the boiling! :p
I just bung my rocks in the shower, give em a good scrub and job done aha.

Can you see the carbon bags should be a decent size to fit in your filtration space? Probably be only one but one should do the trick. I was going by mental sizing of what fits inside my canister filters.

Nice Pets at Home net by the way! ;)

Haha, yes it seems like it!
Rookie's insecurity...

The carbon bags are just fine sizewise, I can fit two of them in the middle compartment above the white ceramic media. I think I'll start with only one for now though.

What happened to your sig Sophie?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back