New member, First time fresh water tank setup!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mrs.Adams91

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am new, I have a 5.5 gallon fresh water setup. I have had a 65 gallon saltwater tank about ten years ago, but it was a lot of work and I work a lot. I have had it for about a month and a half now, but I have only had fish in it for about almost 2.5 weeks. The temp is perfect, the water is perfect, the fish are eating great, and I haven't had but one issue. I have no idea what two fish I got in here. I have done research and I cant seem to gather any information on them other than what the shop keeper said. I also think that maybe I should have gotten one more female because with just the two, the bigger one seems to kind of pick on the other thoughts? ideas?

Hello and welcome to the forum! :hi:

What is your pH, GH, and KH? You can find this information at your local water providers website. We also need actual numbers. (ppm)

If you have questions about what species of fish you got, or the gender, post them here. (Although, didn't you already make a thread for that?)

what the shop keeper said
Never take advice from shop keepers or large chain stores. They rarely know what they are talking about.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :hi:

What is your pH, GH, and KH? You can find this information at your local water providers website. We also need actual numbers. (ppm)

If you have questions about what species of fish you got, or the gender, post them here. (Although, didn't you already make a thread for that?)

Never take advice from shop keepers or large chain stores. They rarely know what they are talking about.

I did make another thread about my two platies and I also have a plecostomus. I will update my water information later on once I get to my notebook with all my water information in it (im at work). I do have experience with fish tanks, but my last one was 7 years ago it was 65 gallons and it was salt water. Fresh water has alot of the same principals but is it's own entity.

I bought a basic set up from my LFS. 5.5 tank with hood and 3 LED light and Top Fin Silentstream 10 Power Filter with cartridge.
I bought a thermometer, automatic heater, different hood with 24 LEDs blue and white, ain air pump, different filter than the one that came with it, Bio chem- zorb ( I did have a bacteria bloom a week into cycling the tank), and an ammonia reducer filter pad to put in the power filter.

I test my water pretty much every time I get bored so on average once a day if not more I feed every three days temp is on a nice 78 degrees and holding fish seem happy and healthy and fat.

A 5.5 gallon tank is way to small for any pleco...
Out of all that I posted that's all you have to say.... well thank you I am aware. I plan on relocating him to a bigger tank once my house is finished getting built. I appreciate all your positive feed back though. Not to mention you should have seen the size of the tank I rescued him from.

I posted that 30 minuets ago, way before we discussed this on the other thread.

I posted that 30 minuets ago, way before we discussed this on the other thread.

Yea, my bad. So you mean to tell me that these Platies can hold onto sperm sacks from the other males where I got them for six months????? WHAT?!

Sweet baby Jesus, so they prob are preggo and that's why they are so fat. I know there was at least one male in there cause she tried giving him to me and there were only 4 fish in there
Tell me about it, its crazy! o_O

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back