New Marine Tank - What To Add First?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Lnbates2000

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've got a new marine tank as a Christmas pressy, :good: and we're cycling it at the minute, with only live rock, sand and saltwater!

Hoping to go this weekend to get a water test, and all being well, to get 'something' to put into the tank!

Was thinking maybe cleaner shrimp, and something else - maybe a mushroom? Not sure if cleaner shrimp need other fish in to 'clean up' after?!

Any help much appreciated, I have tropical fish and am fine with those - breeding bristlenose plecs!

Ooh... getting 2 clown fish at some point, as free with tank!

Laura

:hi:.....way to go. Check out the faq section and you'll see that the first editions to your tank are the cleanup crew after it cycles. The cleanup crew is a selection of crabs, snails, shrimp, etc. DO NOT add corals yet. SH

After the cleanup crew hardy corals can be introduced. Some softies are hardier than most fish in my opinion.

As for fish, im starting with fw mollys to cycle it faster. Getting them this weekend.

A lot of people start with yellow tail damsels to get the hang of SW fish...some gobies are good "starter fish" as well.

A lot of people start with yellow tail damsels to get the hang of SW fish...some gobies are good "starter fish" as well.

Thanks, will look them up!!

Hopefully getting snails, crabs or cleaner shrimps on Sat, then will take it from there!

Laura

Hi Laura.... Welcome...

Just doing the same as you.. Got an ealry christmas present which is cycling. I added 6 hermits and 6 turbo snails so far and they appear to be doing a good job. Its an interesting thread as I am just about to add my first fish too. Plan is a couple of clowns this weekend..

I am interested to hear about any hardy corals to try first...

good luck with your new tank!!!

Jetbox

Hi Laura.... Welcome...

Just doing the same as you.. Got an ealry christmas present which is cycling. I added 6 hermits and 6 turbo snails so far and they appear to be doing a good job. Its an interesting thread as I am just about to add my first fish too. Plan is a couple of clowns this weekend..

Jetbox

Thanks, I'm getting my hermits and snails 2moro hopefully - my tank is starting to go a brown so need a clean-up crew!!

I'm also getting clowns, but will have to wait a while yet. How long has your tank been cycling?

Keep me informed as to what you add . . . you're 1-step ahead of me!! :good:

Laura

Hi Laura.... Welcome...

Jetbox

Thanks, I'm getting my hermits and snails 2moro hopefully - my tank is starting to go a brown so need a clean-up crew!!

I'm also getting clowns, but will have to wait a while yet. How long has your tank been cycling?

Keep me informed as to what you add . . . you're 1-step ahead of me!! :good:

Laura

good luck with the CUC sounds like they will have plenty to eat. my journal is in marine and reef chit chat under "ready for the marine challange again"...

will kep you posted on new fish...

tank has been cycling for about a month now. its ready for fish, hopefully this weekend. will post some more pics soon

jetbox

make sure the params are right before you add CUC, good starter fish are clownfish, certain wrasses, certain gobies, damsels (very hardy but can grow up to be very aggresive, heck, sometimes they dont need the growing up, they are born agressive....)

Those are some basic fish that almost everyone has/had in their lifetime, ask lynden and/or andy to find out what are some hardy exotic fish, like triggers, scorpion fish etc.

make sure the params are right before you add CUC,

Hi,

I've been to get my CUC today, water is fine so I've got 3 turbo snails and 2 cleaner shrimp!
Going to go and get clownfish or maybe hermit crabs next, i'll check the water before I add anything though - free tests at fish shop anyway!

Laura

Most reactions

Back