New Male Neon Blue Guppies

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

newfishyontheblock

Reaction score
My two new (added today) male neon blue guppies seem to be being tormented by 3 very tiny fish, not sure of the name orange with black patches with v shaped sword tales. Found photo, added below. They are swimming very close and looking as if they are trying to bite the guppies. Are they trying to bite? Will the new guppies be ok or do I need to take one or other out?

Thanks

NFOTB x

That's an endler and sorry I don't know much about them :(

Hi, I have taken the 3 endlers out and put them in the plastic bag the guppies came in. I have a spare tank and have floated the plastic bag in the water whilst waiting for a reply. the two guppies are male and not sure what the 3 endlers are but they are 1/3 of the size of the guppies. The tiny eldlers have lived with platys and zebra danios for several weeks, no bother!

Endler's and guppies are very closely related (in fact your 'Endler's' are probably Endler/guppy hybrids), so I would expect it's just a dominance problem, and will sort it's self out soon.

Make sure the fish have plenty of cover and let them get on with it; I honestly don't think any of the fish will come to any real harm; may a few nibbles of the tails, but they should be fine :good:

i dont know but maybe they are just chasing them because they are new often when i get new fish they chase each other around for a while then get a lot calmer but still wait for more opinions

Thanks for your replies. New to fishies and would hate for any to be upset for any stupid mistakes i've made!

I would appreciate your comments. I have a Juwel rekord 800 a step up from a smaller tank I had with 2 MM platys, 3 zebra danios and the 3 Endlers.

Also in the 110 litre Juwel I have 2 dwarf gouramis, 1 other platy, 6 neon tetras and the two new guppies. Does this seem ok? In your opinion is there room for other small fish, added over seval weeks? And if so, any suggestions so I don't go wrong?

NFOTB x

You've got a bit of room, but I'd use that to up your numbers of neons and danios (to eight or ten; maybe even a dozen); they're both species that do better, and look better, in larger shoals.

A tank with too many different species just ends up looking really 'messy' IMO, and the fish won't be as 'happy' (as far as we are able to judge).

Yes, put them back in; they can't stay in the bag too long.Pput them in and switch the tank lights out (that'll calm them down a bit).

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back