new live plant & much brighter lighting

skiltrip

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I recently got a big Swordplant for my 37 gallon tank. I also upgraded my lighting as recommended. I had the basic 20watt fluorescent light, and i upgraded to a 130watt Coralife Aqualight strip. it can run at 65 watts, or 130watts. (1 or 2 bulbs). runs off two seperate switches.

I'm wondering what kind of lighting schedule I should go with?

i figure i should start out with one bulb in the morning, and during the day jump up to two bulbs for a little bit, then back to one at night. but how long for each stage, and how many hours of light a day total should i do?

I also have yet to root the plant in any specific plant substrate. it's just rooted in my gravel. i was told Flourite would work much better. anyone have any other ideas. i was planning on using some kinda plant substrate and putting in a terracotta flowerpot. anyone see any problems with that plan?

One other thing. Will this super bright light upgrade (especially the 130watt setting) bother the fish at all? I have one firemouth, 5 tiger barbs, and 2 rosy barbs. the firemouth has a cave to hide in (though never really uses it).

sorry for so many questions at once. anyone with the time and patience to respond to my questions, thanks a million!

- Kip

Ok, you seem to have about 3 watts per gallon, the recomended wattage for a tank that size. the wattage somewhat decrease as the tank size gets bigger(e.g. some people say 5 wpg on a 10 gallon isnt enough,while 3 wpg on a 100 is too much). Anyway, the light should be on about 10-12 hours. The dark hours is also as important(This is when the plant grows).

About the substrate, yes, I heard that flourite is good, but its too expensive(or overpriced?). Laterite is also a cheaper alternative. Yes, laterite will cloud the water, but its no biggie. It will go away in matter of a day or two. Flourite will also cloud your water, you know. You can also just use an all gravel substrate.

Here are more substrate options: kitty litter(provided it is pure clay, no additives, and won't change the chemistry of your water), soil(less organic stuff, the better), sand, peat, or the combinations of the above("Layers").

The light will never really bother your fish, as they seem to be the active type. Bright lights will only affect those skittish type, or nocturnals(Altough they will just hide, and come out when the lgihts are off. No biggie).

Thats pretty much the basic, but it is, in no way the only true answer.

Revenge

Most reactions

Back