New Here

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I'm not a big snail fan. My Betta is pretty active, so I may need to rethink the shrimp. Which is a bummer! I thought they were too big for Betta to eat? The algae isn't on the plants. More on the decor and airline. I can take a picture to show you.
Yeah if the betta is active definitely don’t get the shrimp. I actually did this and I ended up getting another tank for the shrimp because I felt so bad that they were being chased around so much. On the plus side, I have a nice shrimp tank now ! Anyway, if you could get a picture of the algae that would be great! If it’s almost black it’s prolly black bread algae. If so you are going to have to soak everything hydrogen peroxide for alittle bit and then rinse and dry completely before putting them back in.

@AdoraBelle Dearheart I am surprised at your angry on my post. I had already apologized. I don't see you putting angry notes on people buying upside down catfish that they are unsure of. Or for that matter those who keep goldfish in tanks inside where the temperature is obviously to high for them

@AdoraBelle Dearheart I am surprised at your angry on my post. I had already apologized. I don't see you putting angry notes on people buying upside down catfish that they are unsure of. Or for that matter those who keep goldfish in tanks inside where the temperature is obviously to high for them
You're surprised? You suggested a single clown loach as nothing more than snail control.

It's a pet hate of mine. Botia are smart, social fish who form bonds and hierarchies. They need a group of six or more to be happy, get way too big for most home set ups, and I think it's cruel to buy a fish solely to do a job for you, with no concern for its needs or welfare, either in the short or long term.

And this is a ten gallon tank...

But it's an old school suggestion for dealing with snails that still gets suggested to beginners, and I don't understand the thoughtlessness behind it. What are they meant to do with this clown loach once it's busting out of the tank? Potentially bullying all their other fish? Unhappy because it has no other clown loach company?

There are far easier ways to deal with unwanted pest snails that don't involve animal cruelty.

I also don't read every single thread, but you're not the first angry react I've left, nor the last I'm sure.

Reactions: kwi
You're surprised? You suggested a single clown loach as nothing more than snail control.

It's a pet hate of mine. Botia are smart, social fish who form bonds and hierarchies. They need a group of six or more to be happy, get way too big for most home set ups, and I think it's cruel to buy a fish solely to do a job for you, with no concern for its needs or welfare, either in the short or long term.

And this is a ten gallon tank...

But it's an old school suggestion for dealing with snails that still gets suggested to beginners, and I don't understand the thoughtlessness behind it. What are they meant to do with this clown loach once it's busting out of the tank? Potentially bullying all their other fish? Unhappy because it has no other clown loach company?

There are far easier ways to deal with unwanted pest snails that don't involve animal cruelty.

I also don't read every single thread, but you're not the first angry react I've left, nor the last I'm sure.
It is a pity that more people don't think like you. Please give me your spin on keeping Fighting fish completely on their own, with out ever having any contact with another fish and being bred to have fins that they can't support. I assume you don't keep them and don't support people that do.

It is a pity that more people don't think like you. Please give me your spin on keeping Fighting fish completely on their own, with out ever having any contact with another fish and being bred to have fins that they can't support. I assume you don't keep them and don't support people that do.
I don't have any bettas, no. But I'm not against people keeping them either.

As for them being kept alone, never seeing another fish - from everything I've read, they're a solitary and fiercely territorial species in the wild, not many other species can survive the kind of environment bettas live in, and they're anything but social. They don't school nor shoal, even when mating, the female enters the males territory, they mate, then the female has to escape sharpish or the male attacks. Which is why breeders have to remove the female right afterwards, since she can't escape in a tank and risks being killed.

So forcing bettas to live with other fish sounds as wrong as forcing a social species to live alone.

@itiwhetu you disagree? On what basis do you think bettas benefit from being with other fish? Do you think they need the company of their own species? Or other species? Based on...?

Just because they fight dosen't make them bad. We are depriving them of what they naturally want to do by keeping them alone and thats not fear on the fish

Last edited:
Just because they fight dosen't make them bad. We are depriving them of what they naturally want to do by keeping them alone and thsts not fear on the fish
Where did I say it makes them bad?

What they naturally want to do? Fight? They naturally want to defend their territory, I don't think you can translate that to mean they naturally want to fight. And even if they do, for some reason, in the wild, the loser could escape. Not possible in a tank. So what set up do you propose is fair and natural for bettas?

“Extremely aggressive to members of its own species, they will fight to the death.

At no point should two male bettas be kept together.
At no point should a male and female betta be kept together.

Bettas are territorial, solitary fish, and do not get lonely. They are perfectly happy -- and actually prefer -- to live alone in their tank.”

“Not recommended for the standard community aquarium. Its care requirements and disposition mean it is best kept alone. Sometimes individual fish may tolerate other species, but this is the exception not the expected norm.”

Hope we haven't scared the OP off :rofl: the welcome thread kinda side tracked.

Sorry about that, half my fault, this is a great site with passionate people from different backgrounds, we have the same goal love of fish and there wellbeing.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back