New Here

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Falaria

Reaction score
Hello! I am new Here and new to fish keeping. I do a lot of research but some things I can't find an answer to. I look forward to learning from everyone!

I have one little Betta boy name Jasper in a 10 gallon planted tank. With Pennywort, Flame Moss, Christmas Moss, Phoenix Moss, Willow Moss, Anubias, and Cryptocoryne Wendtii. Unfortunately, my aquarium is also home to some green and brown algae and, I believe, hair algae? I will be getting some aquarium shrimp in November as tank mates.

Attachments

• 20200922_181300_HDR.jpg
    20200922_181300_HDR.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 59
Hello! I am new Here and new to fish keeping. I do a lot of research but some things I can't find an answer to. I look forward to learning from everyone!

I have one little Betta boy name Jasper in a 10 gallon planted tank. With Pennywort, Flame Moss, Christmas Moss, Phoenix Moss, Willow Moss, Anubias, and Cryptocoryne Wendtii. Unfortunately, my aquarium is also home to some green and brown algae and, I believe, hair algae? I will be getting some aquarium shrimp in November as tank mates.
Sounds great :) but be careful with shrimp and Betta they can live together but sometimes the betta can think the shrimp are little worms and they become a very expensive snack for the betta but as I said they can live together

Hello and welcome to the Forum :hi:

Hopefully we can help with advice for your betta, shrimps and algae issue, just simply post a question and we'll be happy to help.

He is a beautiful betta! However, I would be careful with putting the shrimp in with the betta. It depends on his temperament to be honest. Since you have some algae in the tank i would recommend getting a mystery snail, but only one because they reproduce quickly. If the betta does bother with the snail, then there is a chance that he might not bother with the shrimp either. If he is like a super active betta then he is prolly going to eat the shrimp, but if he is more of lazy betta then he wont.

Also, if you have hair algae i would consider trying to remove it because it can kill you plants by blocking the light and it spreads quickly. You can either cut the leaf's with the algae on it or soak them in hydrogen peroxide for 3-5min then letting them dry complete and replanting them. If its all over your tank you can add some CO2 to the tank to help, but the best way is to get a snail.

I would go with nerites snails, they do not reproduce in fresh water and do a good job keeping you tank clean. I have some in all my tanks. You can also spray Hydrogen Peroxide on the algae, I am currently treating some anubias with it. If you can remove the plants of items from the tank to treat them of use an eye dropper if you can not remove the plants.

I would go with nerites snails, they do not reproduce in fresh water and do a good job keeping you tank clean. I have some in all my tanks. You can also spray Hydrogen Peroxide on the algae, I am currently treating some anubias with it. If you can remove the plants of items from the tank to treat them of use an eye dropper if you can not remove the plants.
Yes nerite snails are great, I have one in my betta tank ! But the eggs, the damn eggs lol Those things will be all over your tank and they are difficult to get off. I mean you need like a razor edge to get them off and can risk scratching your tank.

I'm not a big snail fan. My Betta is pretty active, so I may need to rethink the shrimp. Which is a bummer! I thought they were too big for Betta to eat? The algae isn't on the plants. More on the decor and airline. I can take a picture to show you.

Yes nerite snails are great, I have one in my betta tank ! But the eggs, the damn eggs lol Those things will be all over your tank and they are difficult to get off. I mean you need like a razor edge to get them off and can risk scratching your tank.
Have you ever tried a clown loach they love snail eggs

Even though this may have been intended this as light conversation or a general comment whilst it’s true clowns do eat snails.

There are many new fish keepers on this site and may not know about clown loach, or any other fish specie for that matter, about their tank and care requirements so it’s always worth adding information and/or links to back up your suggestions and to show suitability and comparability, or vice versa.

For those interested, clown loachs are most certainly not suitable for a 10 gallon / 40 litre tanks, in fact clown loaches should be kept in 6 foot long tanks as a minimum requirement, that’s an aquarium of at least 140 gals / 640 litres for a small group of 6.

Clown loaches generally grow to between 8 - 11 inches or 20 - 30cm so not a small fish specie at all.

We pride ourselves on trying to give accurate information for everyone so it would be appreciated if advice given can be kept to a standard that does not fall below this.

Thank you for that. I then assume very few of your members have clown loaches in their tanks.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back