New gourami acting strange??

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

fishlover22346

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I moved today and obviously had to do a huge water change to move the tank to the new place, but I ran out of water conditioner and had to buy some more, and I had a petco gift card I got for christmas, so I thought Iā€™d pick up some new fish, I bought some small cory catfish, a few beautiful platies and a three spot gourami. when I got home I put water into the tank, acclimated the fish and put them in. when I first put the gourami in she was doing great, but after dinner I checked up on her, and both my new gourami and my paradise gourami that iā€™ve had for a while were acting strange. the three spot was freaking out and hiding next to the filter, and the paradise was sitting on the bottom. the paradise gourami ate and acted somewhat normal but he doesnā€™t usually ever sit on the bottom. I donā€™t think itā€™s an ammonia spike because all my other fish are great, and itā€™s not disease, so I donā€™t know, maybe they are just acclimating. the paradise is being kind of aggressive towards the three spot, which could be the cause so I separated the paradise gourami and put him in the time out bucket lol. the three spot is currently hanging out behind the filter but seems to not be breathing so hard and is being a little more calm. anyway, does anyone know if this is normal? my ammonia is 0 nitrite is 0 and nitrate is 0.10

Last edited:
So I moved today and obviously had to do a huge water change to move the tank to the new place, but I ran out of water conditioner and had to buy some more, and I had a petco gift card I got for christmas, so I thought Iā€™d pick up some new fish, I bought some small cory catfish, a few beautiful platies and a three spot gourami. when I got home I put water into the tank, acclimated the fish and put them in. when I first put the gourami in she was doing great, but after dinner I checked up on her, and both my new gourami and my paradise gourami that iā€™ve had for a while were acting strange. the three spot was free along out and hiding next to the filter, and the paradise was sitting on the bottom. the paradise gourami ate and acted somewhat normal but he doesnā€™t usually ever sit on the bottom. I donā€™t think itā€™s and ammonia spike because all my other fish are great, and itā€™s not disease, so I donā€™t know, maybe they are just acclimating. the paradise is being kind of aggressive towards the three spot, which could be the cause so I separated the paradise gourami and put him in the time out bucket. the three spot is currently hanging out behind the filter but seems to not be breathing so hard and is being a little more calm. anyway, does anyone know if this is normal? my ammonia is 0 nitrite is 0 and nitrate is 0.10
It's likely the sudden shock to your fish, petco and petsmart keep fish in pristine supplied water (if said fish even arent in pristine health) that is drastically different from your source water. I had to acclimate my betta when I saved him from petco very slowly to avoid shock.

Also, don't rule out disease. A lot of symptoms of illness or parasites don't show for days. Fish bought from a big petstore that shares a filtration system with each tank is bound to share diseases and parasites from sick fish. You should get those nitrates down, do a 50% water change of conditioned water as close to your tank temperature as possible. Try to refill gently as to not cause and undue stress on your new fish.

ok, thanks, I did a water change and also added a little salt to the tank to hopefully rid any parasites. the gourami came out from behind the filter and then went into this little rock cave I made. sheā€™s just sitting there, not really moving her fins much, but at least she isnā€™t breathing hard anymore. I put the Paradise gourami back in the tank becaus he was getting stressed in the bucket. I hope the two will get along.

Update: they seem to be getting along better now and the three spot gourami is swimming around now and acting more normal. one thing though, the tank is lidless, are three spot gourami jumpers?

Personally I would not have got more fish on the same day as a move. I would have waited till I knew the tank and its occupants were OK after the move - no mini spike or fish suffering from a change in water.
You need to keep an eye on the ammonia and nitrite levels daily for several days. This is always a wise precaution after even just adding more fish as well as a total tank upheaval so that you can spot something going wrong before the fish are harmed.

How big is the tank and what fish are in there now?
You say you bought platies - these fish need hard water while all the other fish mentioned - cories, gouramis, paradise fish - are soft water fish (though paradise fish are OK in harder water).

3 spot gouramis are among the more aggressive, territorial gourami species as are paradise fish. These two fish should not be kept together because of their behaviour. And paradise fish need cooler water than most tropical fish.

The water here in Hawaiii is hard, but iā€™m assuming the coryā€™s will be fine because they weā€™re introduced here into a river by my house actually, they thrive and are considered slightly invasive. the tank is 15 gallons, however I, by no means am going to keep the gourami in this tank, and she will be upgraded to a 20 gallon when I get the tank from storage. the cory catfish and platies will also be upgraded. I separated the paradise again because when I woke up one of my coryā€™s was swimming in the middle collum of the tank and when I looked closer he was missing an eye and also had shortened wiskers. the gourami came out and ate and swam around for a while and now is hiding back in the cave again, but she seems to have gotten a bit better from when I first put her in the tank. idk what my PH is but I know that Hawaiiā€™s water is pretty hard but not too hard. the ammonia is 0 nitrite is 0 and nitrate is 0.2

I did a water change and also added a little salt to the tank to hopefully rid any parasites.
Has the fish got parasites? What exactly are you treating with salt?

If your water is hard you should keep hard water fish, soft water fish do not belong in hard water, it will kill them in time.

well I agree however they do live here in the wild, and they breed and live quite long, and as of the salt, I always add a little salt after I get any fish from a chain store like petco or pets art, because those fish tend to carry diseases.

I always add a little salt after I get any fish from a chain store
How much is a little salt?

This will do nothing but stress your fish. You should quarantine new fish for 6 weeks in a hospital tank and if it has parasites treat for them.

3 spot gouramis need a bigger tank than 20. I've found this out through experience. Mine is small still and not happy in the 20 really. And he's the only fish. I will be getting him into a 55 gallon as soon as I can with suitable tankmates. (No other gouramis or paradise fish at all.)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back