New Glofish

Crossfire

Cogito Ergo Sum
Reaction score
I'm sort of a GloFish enthusiast and when I heard they've released another color morph, i was pretty excited! In addition to the standard green, red, and orange, they now have a "cosmic" blue! Here's what they look like in normal light. And here's it in black light

Now everyone is entidled to their own opinions about GMAs and that's okay :good: Personally, I believe Glofish are perfectly harmless. They were born the color, and weren't painfully dyed or tatooed, and were created by mistake when scientist were trying to find a way to let fish show if the water was polluted. I'm thinking about getting a few for my tank :lol:

They don't look that good under normal light, at least none in the batch the wholesaler got in were like that. They had much duller blue, like a denim blue, and the yellow stood out more. We don't have them under a blacklight, guess it might be a good idea with these glofish (the other colors sell without issues under normal lighting).

They don't look that good under normal light, at least none in the batch the wholesaler got in were like that. They had much duller blue, like a denim blue, and the yellow stood out more. We don't have them under a blacklight, guess it might be a good idea with these glofish (the other colors sell without issues under normal lighting).
Yeah i've heard of that problem. It's probably because there like the first batch and their colors aren't as pronounced as the more progressed color morphs.

They look pretty neat. Although illegal, I wonder if breeding a red to a blue would create purple. Probably not as simple as that. If the genes they added are recessive it would take a couple generations. Sorry, thinking out loud lol ;)

Someone either on here or another forum was breeding them and got some weird results. Pinks being brighter or lighter, mixes coming out with a little of each.

I don't know if it is recessive for sure though.

Maybe the genes are codominant or incomplete dominant when you mix different colors. Maybe its something different?
I want to try this for myself. I think its only illegal to distribute the offspring of glofish if you breed them.

were created by mistake when scientist were trying to find a way to let fish show if the water was polluted.

I just wanted to say, it wasn't an accident; it was done on purpose, for the very reason you mention.

I quite like them; I'd have some if they weren't illegal here (I'm in the UK)

They look pretty neat. Although illegal, I wonder if breeding a red to a blue would create purple. Probably not as simple as that.
Your right; it's not as simple as that. Fish genes aren't paint; they don't 'mix' as such.

Although each fish does get a mixture of genes from each parent, it inherits each individual trait like 'red' or 'spots' as separate pieces of information; 'entities' if you like, and you get one 'command' from each parent. That's what a gene is.

So, a blonde person and a redhead don't have children with pink hair; they might be different shades of red or blonde, or even have brown hair, if that's rescisive and being covered up by the red or blonde gene, but it's not just a mix of the too.

There are a few things called 'polygenes', for thnigs like depth of colour (and skin tone in people), white markings in most mamals, that do work like that, but I don't think that would be very likely to apply in this case, as the genes are 'imported' from another species

I'd love to breed some of these and see what happened.

I would be interested in more info on the genetics. If they are codominant you could get mixing like we are talking about (equally 'pink' and 'green' at the same time, which may actually look horrible). Remember that although we think of it as all 'fluorescent color', they are all different genes originating from entirely differently species. This is one of the first times we have ever had to deal with this situation, genes interacting from different species. So it is possible that pink is dominant to all the other, orange and green are codominant, blue is recessive to pink but dominant to green, etc. They are all completely different genes as far as 'they' are concerned.

It is a really interesting topic from a scientific point of view, unfortunately it makes me want to setup a glofish tank.

Personally I say good luck to the people who decide to break the trademark laws and interbreed the colors, let us know how it turns out.

It is a really interesting topic from a scientific point of view, unfortunately it makes me want to setup a glofish tank.

Lol! And me!

Personally I say good luck to the people who decide to break the trademark laws and interbreed the colors, let us know how it turns out.
Yes, I'm very much looking forward to hearing some results.

waaaaaa!!!! i want some blue ones! why do they have to be illegal in California!?

That's what you get for voting in Arnold. I don't know how you guys put up with the liberal laws out there, they are ridiculous.

Sorry - I'm just now catching up on the new Glofish thing. I saw the new colors at Petsmart a few days ago (South Carolina, USA) and was surprised to see the new colors swimming around. I hope that the colors will get more pronounced in later generations. The current generation of fish is not dramatic, and under a black light the blue and purple do not glow much more than a regular fish.

The original three colors (green (yellow), red, orange) are MUCH more striking at the moment in regular and black light. I bought one purple and one blue, so here is what they look like under normal tank lighting:

Blue:

IMG_1418 by Gvilleguy, on Flickr

Purple (looks more pink):

IMG_1416 by Gvilleguy, on Flickr

I lived in the US near Chicago for several months in 2004 and my friend's dad had bought 5 of the original red glofish (genetically modified zebra danios) when they came out in pet stores. They were advertised as being sterile and unable to interbreed with natural danios so my friend's dad bought several natural female danios and put them all out in the fish pond together for the summer. When it came time for me to catch them all and bring them in for the winter, there were about 80 fish and over 30 of them were red glo fish. Evidently they were reliably fertile and capable of passing on the modified gene. As far as we could work out, the modified gene was recessive but when two recessives bred together, they produced the red glofish. He was at a loss of what to do with them so I suggested he just sell them but he was afraid to do that because he thought he'd get sued for selling a patented product. I personally thought no one would notice or care but he was adamant. I think he ended up buying more tanks for them.

They are definitely fertile. That is how the company breeds them. They only have to modify one (or a few) to start a founding population, the rest are all descendents of the original(s).

It is illegal to sell them. It is also illegal to breed them.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back