New Generation Of Tanks

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

jonobailey

Reaction score
Hi I am looking to get a new tank, probably the Fluval Roma 125 0r 180, however having looked the current range of popular tanks e.g. Juwel, Fluval etc seem to have been around for a while, and wondered if any one has any info on any replacements/news models in the pipeline.

I am just thinking that with the advent of new technologies such as LED lighting, automatic lighting cycles etc, perspex rather than glass that seem to be appearing on many nano tanks, do you think that there will be a new generation of larger tanks arriving in the near future that may be worth holding out for, or do some already exist that I don't know about.

I know you can always wait and say something better will come along (like endlessly waiting for the newest iphone) It just seems that there has been quite a few developments recently, but no larger tanks by the main manufacturers that use them, as they seem to be abit behind the game, and wondered if anyone can shed any light on new models, or will it take a few more years, shall I just take the plunge now?

Personally, I would still go for decent T5s with an electronic starter and glass over LEDs (as far as I am aware, currently less efficient, unless one spends a lot of money on them) and acrylic (which I find scratches just from looking at it).

Hi I am looking to get a new tank, probably the Fluval Roma 125 0r 180, however having looked the current range of popular tanks e.g. Juwel, Fluval etc seem to have been around for a while, and wondered if any one has any info on any replacements/news models in the pipeline.

I am just thinking that with the advent of new technologies such as LED lighting, automatic lighting cycles etc, perspex rather than glass that seem to be appearing on many nano tanks, do you think that there will be a new generation of larger tanks arriving in the near future that may be worth holding out for, or do some already exist that I don't know about.

I know you can always wait and say something better will come along (like endlessly waiting for the newest iphone) It just seems that there has been quite a few developments recently, but no larger tanks by the main manufacturers that use them, as they seem to be abit behind the game, and wondered if anyone can shed any light on new models, or will it take a few more years, shall I just take the plunge now?

LED's, though expensive now. are far better than any other lighting type. even the most inefficient LED setup, is vastly more efficient than even fluorescent lighting. there is a member here, selling custom made LED units. they cost, roughly, £60. thats the cost of 3 4' fluorescent tubes. so in three years its saved its cost, in tubes alone.
they also run much cooler. thats a real boon, especially in a hot summer. (@OP take a look in the equipment sales section)
I'm with KittyKat on Acrylic tanks though. they seem like a good idea, but are more expensive than glass. are very prone to scratching. To me, more down side than up. and they are not that new either!

LED's, though expensive now. are far better than any other lighting type. even the most inefficient LED setup, is vastly more efficient than even fluorescent lighting. there is a member here, selling custom made LED units. they cost, roughly, £60. thats the cost of 3 4' fluorescent tubes. so in three years its saved its cost, in tubes alone.
they also run much cooler. thats a real boon, especially in a hot summer. (@OP take a look in the equipment sales section)
I'm with KittyKat on Acrylic tanks though. they seem like a good idea, but are more expensive than glass. are very prone to scratching. To me, more down side than up. and they are not that new either!
More like £10 for tubes, there is little or no difference between aquarium and unbranded tubes, if one gets the same type.

How do you measure the efficiency? Amount of light which reaches the bottom of the tank? Or cost of running "same" (numerically speaking) wattage lights?

From the demos I have seen at my LFS, decent quantity and quality of LEDs get just as hot as fluorescents (in the same hood, not when one is in the open and the other is inside the hood).

The LED's used for aquariums are generally quite inefficient as LED's go, more efficient than T5's but they still do produce a lot of heat as they're high power, so they don't run cool, they need to be fan cooled and they will burn your retina if you look at them.

Efficiency is general defined as useful output over total power input, so in our case light, but then again comes light penetration and diffraction, the deeper a tank the more these effects come into play.

I'd also go for the T5's, even T8's if the option is there, you'll only want T5's on a salt water tank, T5's on a fresh water set up are just unnecessary. I wouldn't go for a Juwel tank as their lighting is all a non-standard size, where as fluval use standard sized fittings so you can get tubes for as little as £2 each.

The best way to go about LED lighting would be to build it yourself, not difficult, you just need basic electrical knowledge and the ability to solder.

More like £10 for tubes, there is little or no difference between aquarium and unbranded tubes, if one gets the same type.

How do you measure the efficiency? Amount of light which reaches the bottom of the tank? Or cost of running "same" (numerically speaking) wattage lights?

From the demos I have seen at my LFS, decent quantity and quality of LEDs get just as hot as fluorescents (in the same hood, not when one is in the open and the other is inside the hood).

I cant speck for the tubes, except to say, most of us will buy Aquarium branded. the fact you dont, is largely irrelevant. so cost saving remain as i stated.

efficiency is down to all the thing you mention. but, power in plus light out and the amount of heat created.

its true many sold LED products get hot. but that's down to design, not the inherent inefficiency of LEDS.

one thing the aquarium trade is know for is selling items that work. but are not alway efficiently. just look at the power consumption of filters rated at the same power. they differ quite a lot.

but i agree with Standby, build your own. its the best way to go, at the moment.

[...] £60. thats the cost of 3 4' fluorescent tubes.
I cant speck for the tubes, except to say, most of us will buy Aquarium branded. the fact you dont, is largely irrelevant. so cost saving remain as i stated.
You might be surprised to find how many people have become money concious enough to not waste it like that, and those who chose to waste it probably don't care about the cost of their equipment so the cost difference becomes irrelevant at that point.

they also run much cooler. thats a real boon, especially in a hot summer. (@OP take a look in the equipment sales section)either!
its true many sold LED products get hot. but that's down to design, not the inherent inefficiency of LEDS.
So you agree that those commonly available to the trade really do run as hot as fluorescents?

Agreed that DIY LEDs are the best way to go.. but from my calculations 6 months ago, if I was to use efficient and blight LEDs, then I would not recoup the cost over fluorescents (specifically, T5s with electronic ballasts, including replacement bulbs) over the life time of the unit.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back