New forum idea—for kids?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people just don’t want anyone online knowing their true age, which I completely understand. When I first joined TFF a few years ago, I put in my profile that I was 18, just because I had no idea what this forum was or what kind of people were on it. Now that have been a member for a while, I was comfortable with releasing me true age.

I think giving “kids” junior fish keeper badges is degrading them in a way that I would not want to be treated. Just my option though. ;)
You are so knowledgeable, articulate & intelligent that I had no idea you were a teen until you mentioned it. Age doesn’t matter here.

Its not always as simple as that sadly

The registration process needs a DOB to complete and potential members can always lie about their age, there is nothing available to admins that can be used to check the DOB given

However, the posting style and behaviour of a member can and usually does give the underage member away....not always very quickly, as when new they tend to be ultra polite and make all the right responses. As time goes by that "nice" behaviour tends to break down and the child starts to emerge, eventually the child causes too much disruption due to arguments or rude responses or just basic immaturity in their posts and that will inevitably lead to a ban...especially if they have been contacted by a staffmember and warned about the way they are behaving

Of course there are exceptions, where an underage member does behave in a mature way throughout, and although they are breaking COPPA rules, they can be given a chance by virtue of that mature behaviour

Under 13's do not always have a very good concept of how to behave and can easily act out in what can only be described as kindergarten behaviour when they do not get their own way or they get a response they do not like.

Being an admin or mod on a site like this is extremely hard sometimes but when you have a disruptive member of any age you have to place the welfare of the forum as a whole over that one person. When I was an admin/site builder, I had the last word on bans and I had my staff document everything that person had done, we discussed it behind the scenes, we had a 3 strikes and out policy....we gave people every chance to behave in an appropriate manner but inevitably you have to act and on my sites that was down to me as admin and even when you have the devil incarnate messing up on your forum, its still not a pleasant task having to ban anyone.....but its part and parcel of the territory sadly.

Because the Forum Admin and Mod Team pride themselves on this being a 'family friendly' forum and available to all.

Managing any active Forum is usually potentially difficult and many out there do have more vigorous child protection measures in place, not only for the protection of the children, but also for the protection of Forum members. Such measures include parental participation being compulsory.

As with all things, some people find a way around such measures for their own needs, but at least the Forum Admin of those groups are protected by Law, if the need arises.
Oh I completely understand how difficult it must be to be an admin or moderator on a forum, hence why I only post on them and nothing more :)

If my post seemed like a criticism, it certainly wasn't and I apologise if it came across that way

Oh I completely understand how difficult it must be to be an admin or moderator on a forum, hence why I only post on them and nothing more :)

If my post seemed like a criticism, it certainly wasn't and I apologise if it came across that way
Certainly didn't come over as criticism to me, no apology needed matey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back