New Fish Tank And Keeper

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Fireman_jam

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I posted in another section a couple of weeks ago, but as this is a new tank I'm starting I thought I may as well post in here. That way i can keep all my questions in one place! 

So have sorted my tank out and went and bought some black sand (I would class it as a mix between gravel/sand) a new heater, external aqua one 550 series 2 filter, thermometer, decor and air pump. I have the air pump set on the lowest possible airflow rate however I have both air stones in and am wondering whether it may be best to take the large one out, is it possible to over oxygenate the water?

The dimensions of my tank are L - 57cm, D - 28cm and H - 30cm, I work this out to be roughly 45 litres and the water displaced by the sand and features is probably equal to the amount taken up and 'added' by my filter.

I've had it up and running about 3-4 days now to warm up and had the filter running to just to make sure no leaks and such occur! The water went very cloudy the 2nd day but has cleared now and looks really clear. 

Today I started my fishless cycle by adding 1.4ml of ammonia (thanks to the calculator on here!) and it's done its job fantastically, bringing the ppm to exactly (well as close as can be) to 3. So now comes the waiting game of testing every few days and recording the results, I've even started making a graph on my computer to see what it looks like when I get spikes and such, sad? Possibly!

Below is a picture of my tank, it's my first one that I've set up myself so any ideas/advice would be much appreciated. Along with possible stocking advice? My water at home is quite hard. And the pH sits at just above neutral, however my test kit doesn't give very good readings for this...

10834141_10153006778005509_1219187329_n.jpg

I like it!  the first cycle is always the hardest.  the waiting game sucks.  :)

So it's day 4 and I've just tested my waters, now the 5 minute wait...

Ammonia is clearly at 0.25, even slightly lower really
Nitrite is clearly at 0...

These results seem a little weird?

Could there possibly still be bacteria from when I had the filter on before? It had been left before I cleaned it for a few weeks and when I went to use it again I give it a good squeeze in dechlorinated water

Shall test again in the morning just to make sure I've not made a mistake in the testing...

So guys, I'm getting results of 0 ammonia after 24 hours of adding the required amount so think I'm ready to start adding some fish! However I have no idea on stocking levels, I would like something 'different' and colourful, I know I'm restricted due to tank dimensions which is why I'm asking! If anyone has any ideas please let me know, I will more than likely be buying online as my only lfs are dobbies, pets at home and one independent store. Howeer if I can get something that's suggested from one of these then I will :)

Help please!

What did you decide on? And I love that substrate color it really pops

You are far better off buying from a store than online. Dobbies are usually quite good, we have the same around where I live and they're generally good.

I've had fish from there and plants and not lost any (touch wood!)

You need to look at the fish, if there are any that don't look too clever, listless, lethargic or just generally not too clever avoid the entire tank. Even if all the other fish 'look' OK, bad fish are a bad sign.

Also the smaller independent store is usually better at giving good advice, letting you know what fish are OK with what and which are not. My LFS is fantastic it's been ran by the same family for years.

I would of suggested a group of tetras (there are more than just neons!) and then a centre piece fish like a Betta or something which draws your attention to the tank.

Looking forward to seeing what you chose and how it looks now with its new inhabitants!

Sorry for the lack of reply!

I have ended up with the following;

2 German rams - I loved these when I saw them, love the colouring of them!
6  Tetras - I can't for the life of me remember what they're called, they have red fins and tail...
2 Zebra snails
2 Wood shrimps
1 BN Pleco

The shrimps, snails and tetra were kind've 'forced' upon me as when I bought the rams my girlfriend saw them and I said she could have the tetras, however when she went back to buy them she returned with these also!

They all seem really settled in and have started to explore, we also purchased a planted 'coco cave' which is a nice feature! So far I've tested most days at different times and the filter is holding up really well with constantly 0ppm Ammonia :)

Sounds nice, I have four GBRs they are truly beautiful fish. :)

Just a word of warning, watch your shrimp with your rams, I cant be certain as I've never kept both together, but they might try and have a little nibble!

But it sounds lovely, what about a pic?! :p

Most reactions

Back