New Fish Ideas

strangeworld2002

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jul 2, 2008
Messages
266
Reaction score
10
Points
18
Location
Cheshire, UK
Hi,

I am looking at adding some more fish to my 240 litre tropical tank but am a little stuck for ideas, at the moment its got these fish in:

2x Pearl Gourami
2x Red Honey Gourami
5x Tiger Barbs
2x Synodontis Angelicus Catfish (They are only small about 4" long each)

Any ideas for suitable tank mates for these guys? All of the fish in my tank get along fine with no fighting or fin nipping :-)

Thanks.
 
Various tetras can be considered.... Red eye; Head & Tail light; Lemon; Serpae: neon: Glowlight; Cardinal; Emperor; Harlequin; Penguin; (at least six of any) and then also Cherry; Golden or Ruby barbs would add some colour...
 
i would get that shool of tiger barbs biger (maybe 8 or 9) cuz they look really stunning in bigger groups and they feel more comfortable and are less shy. Also You should get some sort of algae eater maybe a bull dog plec or some other that stays small and then maybe some boesemani rainbows(3 or 4)
 
Thanks for the advice. I did have 8 Tiger barbs but they seemed to constantly fight to pick off the weakest one. One of them actually got bullied that bad it had no tail left, it eventually died :crazy: I read somewhere that its best to keep them in a group of odd numbers as this minimises any pecking orders. I have to say the 5 I have play nicely and always swim together, I guess they are all of similar strength. When I had 8 they were always going head to head.

I am going to move one of the angelicus catfish to another tank soon as the two I have tend to scrap a lot, but will a pleco and an angelicus play nicely or are they going to fight for territory?
 
Hi,

Thanks for your advice guys. I decided on my way home from work that I would pick up a pleco and ended up buying a Queen Arabesque for £20. Not sure if this is a good price or not though. Its about 3" at the moment although it was listed as a Fake Zebra Pleco but since checking this on the Internet when I got home it looks like a Queen Arabesque so thats what I'm sticking with lol.
 
Bought 4 bosemani rainbows too, they have settled in well. I was thinking about adding 1 RTBS would it be Ok with the fish I have?

4x bosemani rainbow
2x synodontis angelicus catfish
1x king tiger pleco
5x tiger barbs
2x pearl gourami
2x red thicklip gourami

The tank is 240 litre with real plants.
 
Hi,

Thanks for your advice guys. I decided on my way home from work that I would pick up a pleco and ended up buying a Queen Arabesque for £20. Not sure if this is a good price or not though. Its about 3" at the moment although it was listed as a Fake Zebra Pleco but since checking this on the Internet when I got home it looks like a Queen Arabesque so thats what I'm sticking with lol.


can u post a pic as there are lost similiar to queen arabsque
 
Bought 4 bosemani rainbows too, they have settled in well. I was thinking about adding 1 RTBS would it be Ok with the fish I have?

4x bosemani rainbow
2x synodontis angelicus catfish
1x king tiger pleco
5x tiger barbs
2x pearl gourami
2x red thicklip gourami

The tank is 240 litre with real plants.

Should be ok, just one though, mind they do get aggressive as they mature, so make sure he has somewhere to call his own.
 
Thanks for the advice. I did have 8 Tiger barbs but they seemed to constantly fight to pick off the weakest one. One of them actually got bullied that bad it had no tail left, it eventually died :crazy: I read somewhere that its best to keep them in a group of odd numbers as this minimises any pecking orders. I have to say the 5 I have play nicely and always swim together, I guess they are all of similar strength. When I had 8 they were always going head to head.

I am going to move one of the angelicus catfish to another tank soon as the two I have tend to scrap a lot, but will a pleco and an angelicus play nicely or are they going to fight for territory?

You are supposed to get tiger barbs the same size as what you have in your tank - as they are VERY aggressive between each other.

I would get some Rummy Nose Tetras, or Serpae Tetras :lol:
 
what about a rainbow shark? I read somewhere that they are not as aggresive as rtbs, not sure if this is true or not though.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top