New Fish Day Tomorrow: Suggestions?

mwood2

Fish Addict
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
749
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Vancouver WA (US)
So its been 1-2 weeks since my past purchase so I plan to wake up early do a water change on both tanks and get some fish. Question is what to get? My current stocking is below:

30 Gallon:
3 Molly
5 Bloodfin tetra
3 Hi Fin Platy
1 BN Pleco
8 Coolie Loach
4 Oto

10 Gallon
1 Molly
2 Oto

It seems that one of my Bloodfin is pregnant so I am thinking of using the 10 gallon as a fry tank since she hasn't given birth yet. My plan is perhaps to make the 30 gallon like so:

4 Molly
10 Rio Flame
3 Hi Fin
1 BN Pleco
8 Coolie Loach
4 Oto

10 Gallon
5-7 Bloodfin
6-7 Cory (havent decided type yet)

Would I have extra room in either after it or no? 3 Molly I have are offspring of 1 and are 4+ months old but are under 2in. I am guessing I may not have fed enough early on for them. Also are Rams a possible choice? I can get them without going far but there kept in horrible tanks and I am afraid to introduce them to my tanks due to possible desiese.

Suggestions for stock?
 
Rams should work in the 30 gallon tank

A school of 6 to 8 smaller tetras like neons or cardinals would work too
 
Yes, you can have a pair of rams in that tank. Or even apistogramma. They will be fine in the 30 gallon, however, you might have some problems with them getting to the fry before you do. Try to avoid German Blue Rams as they are harder to take care of, and they don't meet the requirements of a community tank. Bolivian rams are a better choice.
 
German Blue and Golden are the only ones available to me. Also as for thr 30, what other bottom feeders could I look into? Would Cory be to much?
 
The golds are more touchy than the originals. Get the originals, if you are up for the challenge. Just don't get two males, they are really easy to sex IMO. Corries would be fine, or a bristlenose.
 
Well at this point I may do 5 Cory for the 10 and a shoal of some sort of tetra for the 30. I am thinking of one of these

black neon tetra
flame tetra
cherry barb

not sure which though, thinking 5 of 1.
 
Mikrogeophagus ramirezi are not good community fish, people forget to take water parameters into hand when recommending fish.

Mikrogeophagus ramirezi MUST be kept in a tank where the temperature remains between 28 and 32oC, other sources online will tell you otherwise, but most are outdated. The PH plays an important role as well as the GH, the PH should be no high than 7.6 and the GH should be lower than 10 degrees.

Fail to do this and the fish will have a slower metabolism, slower digestive system, and it leaves them prone to disease, the main one being Hexamita.

I simply cannot stress how important the temperature is, these fish won't last 2 seconds at a lower temperature.
 
I sure hope Mwood2 is not waiting for this answer any more. The fish have been in the tank for about 3 months.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top