NEW Fish being tormented

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Debo

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Theres a reason we call our tiger barbs "the BA six pack" BA stands for Bad Ass.
I decided to get a few new fish today. I completely re-arranged the tank and added in 2 good sized male rosy barbs and 4 smaller gold barbs along with a couple of cories. All seemed well until this one BA tiger barb started tormenting one of the rosy barbs twice his size!!! For some reason they arent bothering the gold barbs. I have a group of 6 tiger barbs and they are pretty good except for trying to hog the bottom feeders food occasionally. They/he usually gets run off by the red tail shark. Should I move him and the gang to JAIL for a few days and then re-introduce them? The rosy barbs are really pretty.
Deb

The tank is a 60 gallon hex. If you look at my sig you can see what else is in there.
Deb

I had the same problem with my tiger barbs. The last straw came when they took a chunk out of a cory cat. I bagged them up and brought them back to LFS. It was either get rid of them or go all barb so they are gone. Now I have ruby barbs and red glass barbs and I'm much happier.

I'll give you my take on it, and it's only based on my personal experience, so take everyone's advice with as much weight as mine...

I have 5 tiger barbs and 2 rosy barbs, (along with a firemouth, redtail shark, and cuckoo cat)

my tiger barbs and rosy barbs get along really well, in fact, the rosy barbs, tiger barbs, and the firemouth(believe it or not) kinda school together. like a little gang.

how long have you had the rosy barbs in the tank? sometimes it takes a while for everyone to get used to their new tankmates. the rosy barbs will definitely get big enough to hold their own. i don't know how big they are in relation to your tiger barbs though.

when i first added my firemouth, the tiger barbs tormented him, and i was really worried at first. but after about a week or two, the tormenting stopped, and the firemouth established his presence in the tank, and now they get on just fine.

I'd give it some time.

- Kip

Thanks Kip,
My Tiger barbs are 1/2 the size of the Rosy Barbs. This is day 2 of them all together. So, I will just wait and see what happens. My Tiger Barbs, the littlest one actually torments the Red Tail Shark when he is feeding on sinking pellets....BUT.............Sharky's great at giving it right back. it's hysterical to watch him shoo them away.
Deb

Most reactions

Back