New Dwarf Arowana

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

cane76

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
i picked up this arowana a while back it is only 6" long and the certificate says 10 march 2007
it came in the same time as 3 other aros all with the same date on certificate which are all 13" now
the dwarf has been kept in a 6x2x2 just like the other 3 and fed exactly the same
as you aro experts can see it dont look stunted
dwarfaro.jpg

dwarfaro1.jpg

few more pics i took of the other tank while i was there
freak2.jpg

dwqarf4.jpg

dwarf5.jpg

dwarf3.jpg

dwarf1.jpg

dwarf.jpg

really insteresting if it stays small (relative to its species) and lives a happy and healthy life. Might show that dwarfism may appear in other species as well

Ox :good:

How big do these drarf aro's get then cane?, never heard of them before.

If it wasn't cane posting this then I would think it to be some kind of joke. :D

That would be great if there are a genuine breed of dwarf arowana for all the people who want one but dont have 400+gal tanks

Very nice arowana.

Never heard of a dwarf before though, don't you mean Scleropages leichardti? Not sure if that's a common name for it or what.

If the saratogas/ asian arowanas (whatever you want to call them, we’ve had this discussion before :) ) are all kept in the same tank then the smaller one is probably being bullied. Otherwise it has some sort of problem that is preventing it from digesting its food properly and growing to normal size. It could have worms or a minor bacterial infection, or could just be a genetic freak. Maybe it is going to be a true dwarf (which would be good) but that is unlikely. However, having said that, the fish is from Asia and they are doing some weird stuff up there, so maybe it has been genetically modified to stunt its growth.
As a general rule that type of fish (Scleropages sp) should get to a couple of feet quite easily and usually reach about 3ft max.

Sounds interesting,
Can someone save the pix and upload them - Can't view them at work unless they are attachements.

the 4 arowana have never been kept in the same tank because of the certificate/chip numbers
they have had a 6x2x2 each

hmm interesting. We will have to wait and see what happens over the next few years. Keep us informed on how they do :)

its a shame the aro is so aggressive i might not be able to keep hold of it to find out

Most reactions

Back