New Cat

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

indigoj

sic itur ad astra
Reaction score
Well, yesterday we were given what the previous owner thought was an albino channel catfish (grows huge and will eat smaller fish but generally peaceful) they gave it to us as it had eaten a few goldfish and they knew we had a big tank with bigger fish.

So acclimatising this 8" long beautiful fish (in a bucket) while doing some reseach we discover that it is not a channel cat but Hemibagrus Nemurus - Albino 'false' redtail catfish - also from what I can find out one of the most aggressive and nasty fish to be kept in an aquarium LOL.

Needless to say, he's not gone in with the Oscars! At present swimming round a 4ft tank on his own (plenty of room for the moment) while we decide what to do with him/her. He is lovely and other half always wanted a red tail if we ever had room but I'm not sure how practical it will be to keep a potential 24" killing machine....

Anyone else ever keep one?

P1098929.jpg

i of course have never kept one but he/she is a pretty amazing looking fish!! if i could i would happiliy have a few of them on there own to shoal....i deffinatly think you should keep him and just find a few more :hyper:

ah....lol you can tell i know naff all about that breed huh lol

I think he/she is a gorgeous catfish and i've wanted a red tailed catfish ever since i saw a breeding pair for sale at my LFS they cost £80 all together. They are one of the most gorgeous catfish i have ever seen.

Here is a pic of one i just love the red/pinkie colour on their tails, It's just a beautiful fish of contrasting colours.
redtailedcat.jpg

jen i saw your thread on the pier forum, gorgeous cat, wish i had the space for one of those its stunning, i suppose they would have to be kept with similarly sized aggressive cats, and maybe big plecs and an electric eel!! lol
they don't get as big as the amazonian red tailed cat but a good 2 foot and have a serious attitude problem!

Well so far he's settled in nicely, eats everything that goes in and seems pretty intelligent.

Very glad he didn't go in teh big tank though, watching him swim round 'stalking' a prawn and worrying it like a cat with a mouse he's definitely a real predator.

A beautiful catfish for any single specimen tank :drool:

"An aggressive loner. As with other Hemibagrus species, very intolerant of other fish inhabiting the same tank. What it cannot eat, it will kill out of spite.

LOL Nelly, I read that too!

A guy on the pier site suggested that a huge tank with other equally large fish 'might' work but as I have no space for that experiment he (or she) is on it's own.

When I was younger , I would keep very large fish such as this in galvanized horse troughs. Massive filtration, frequent water changes,and variety of foods (no feeders), and fish thrived in the basement of my folks house. Problem was,,, once they began to require more room, I could not find proper homes for them. Perhaps a nearby public aquarium would consider homing the fish should you expierience similar situation.

Here we are, a new pic now he has settled in a bit - note the nice fat belly!

CAT1.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back