Tank size: 57L
pH: 7
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: was 10 but have done 50% water change
kH: can't test
gH: can't test
tank temp: 27

I recently came into possession of a betta fish, a friend was bought it as a gift I presume from a large pet franchise and they didn't have any tank space for it. I agreed to take it as I had a tank that was stocked very minimally. I've never owned a betta nor do I know what this betta looked like before it came into my possession. Please offer opinions on whether it mat be ill or not. My fears is the frayed look of the tail and fins but it could just be how they are??
Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

Volume and Frequency of water changes: 50%+ weekly

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: nothing as of yet

Tank inhabitants: betta, 2 albino corydoras catfish, 4 armano shrimp (they have space to hide in the back of the tank if bothered by the betta)

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): only the betta

Exposure to chemicals: not that I know of

The cup was temporary holding cell just for taking the pictures.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

Digital photo (include if possible):

Doesn't look like fin rot, just some tears.

Preform a 40% - 50% water change every day, until things look better.

Keep an eye on him. He is new, which means he is stressed. The constant water changes may stress him out even more.

Keep an eye on him. He is new, which means he is stressed. The constant water changes may stress him out even more.
I agree with @PheonixKingZ, looks like either nipping or he's caught it on a decoration or something that's too sharp. I personally wouldn't keep a betta with albino corydoras catfish, but I'm sure other members will say they have without problems.
Just monitor him for deterioration and report back if it happens for further advice. He's a good looking fish, have fun!

This may be of use to you by the way!

Thanks for the reply, I will try to keep up with daily water changes if work allows. I've never had to deal with any illness' in tanks previously so fingers crossed I don't jinx myself.

Thanks for the reply, I will try to keep up with daily water changes if work allows. I've never had to deal with any illness' in tanks previously so fingers crossed I don't jinx myself.
Keep us updated. Is anything else new sprouts up on his body, post pictures. Good luck! :good:

I agree with @PheonixKingZ, looks like either nipping or he's caught it on a decoration or something that's too sharp. I personally wouldn't keep a betta with albino corydoras catfish, but I'm sure other members will say they have without problems.
Just monitor him for deterioration and report back if it happens for further advice. He's a good looking fish, have fun!

Thanks for the reply also and for the link on bettas. I tried to do as much research as I could, as soon as I was told I might need to take the fish, on top of the minimal knowledge that I had already. I've been keeping an eye on them all and they don't seem to bother each other.

The only issue I had is managing the water flow, originally the output was angled to have some areas of high flow for the corys as they like it so I tried to reduce it for the betta. However when I fed them all the betta kept chasing the food into the water stream and got blasted across the tank, so I've now got them angled to diffuse the water a lot more evenly.

Thanks again for your advise and the link.

Thanks for the reply also and for the link on bettas. I tried to do as much research as I could, as soon as I was told I might need to take the fish, on top of the minimal knowledge that I had already. I've been keeping an eye on them all and they don't seem to bother each other.

The only issue I had is managing the water flow, originally the output was angled to have some areas of high flow for the corys as they like it so I tried to reduce it for the betta. However when I fed them all the betta kept chasing the food into the water stream and got blasted across the tank, so I've now got them angled to diffuse the water a lot more evenly.

Thanks again for your advise and the link.
No worries!

Yeah, that's kinda the problem. Their requirements are pretty different which makes their compatibility pretty tough. The only filter I've used for a betta that didn't need a muffler on the output was a standard sponge and I still turn it down abit on the valve lol. I think you'll struggle to keep them all happy if I'm honest

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back