Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

New Betta - help identifying color/pattern?

Discussion in 'Betta Splendens' started by RedSarah, Apr 19, 2019.

1. RedSarah

RedSarah New Member

Hi all!

I went to the LFS planning to pick up some plants and a few more amano shrimp... and I left with a lovely betta named Queenie. I recently lost the fish in my 5.5 gallon, so it has been sad and unoccupied for the first time in almost two years -- needless to say, I'm glad to have activity in the tank again!

Can anyone identify her tail type and color/pattern? The LFS labeled her a dragon.... she has thick white scales and a "skunk stripe", but from what I've read it doesn't seem like dragons are blue/have pale bodies. She looks kind of like a marble or grizzle based on the research I've done. I've only had her for a day, so I haven't observed any changes in color.

Thanks!

Queenie-1.jpg
    View attachment 91017
    Queenie-3.jpg
    Queenie-4.jpg

Skunk Stripe:
    Queenie-SkunkStripe2.JPG

#1 RedSarah, Apr 19, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  2. RedSarah

RedSarah New Member

Figured I’d post an update -- her colors have developed a lot over the last two weeks, definitely because of better tank conditions (and probably because of marble gene?). She looks like a different fish! I added some driftwood which is leaching tannins, so the tank looks a little warmer in color than usual.

Does anyone have thoughts on her tail type or whether she is a dragon scale?
    She looks like a delta/super delta to me, but I don’t have much experience identifying tail types:

Queenie-May3-3.jpg
    Queenie-may3-2.jpg
    Queenie-may3-1.jpg

3. Bettapuppy

Bettapuppy New Member

Whatever she is, she’s beautiful.

4. RedSarah

RedSarah New Member

Thanks, I was lucky to find her! She has a great personality, too... cute, feisty, and acts like I never feed her! :)

5. FishFinatic77

FishFinatic77 New Member

Wow, she is gorgeous! By the shape of her tail, I was thinking maybe a comb tail? Don't know about her color pattern though.:)