New axolotls!

JennySolano

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Bought 2 pink axies, their tank & stand & much equipment from people found on Craigslist. Actually my friend in NY found them. None available locally.
So excited ! The husband is there now after a 3 hour drive. I stayed home with the cats & dogs etc.

Not sure about the flashy decor. Want what’s best for them. Joined an amphibian forum. Terrific, helpful people
EA129126-38A0-46F1-B023-752FD91C4250.jpeg
0E3ECE4F-E8F0-44AC-90CE-9865B7E41A05.jpeg

foxgirl158

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Aw, they are so cute! Thanks for sharing Jenny, I needed this <3 I watch an online TNR livestream and one of the kittens passed away :( so I definitely needed this dose of cuteness!

xxBarneyxx

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
They really are super cute. My Mrs and daughter quite wanted some of these but we don't really have anywhere to put a big enough tank for them.

OP
JennySolano

JennySolano

Fish Herder
Reaction score
They really are super cute. My Mrs and daughter quite wanted some of these but we don't really have anywhere to put a big enough tank for them.
Yeah, they say minimum of one per 20 G. she had two in the 30 G.
this variation may be on the small side.

realzalio

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
whether to keep the weird decor is your choice (as long as there are sufficient hiding caves and they're not sharp) but personally, it aggravates me (🤣).
also the 30 gallon is too small for one, IMO, let alone two - they (at least have the potential to) get big.
i think @itiwhetu has bred axolotls or something so maybe he can share some knowledge.

itiwhetu

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
When I kept Axolotls. This is how I did it

I had a 3' x 18'' x 8'' tank, in there I had 3 adults, the water was about 6" deep. I had large flat stones that they could sit on right on the surface of the tank. I had a mountain of Indian Fern on the surface. The filter was setup to blow a current down the tank, my guys used to sit all day with their noses up into the current. I fed them mainly Ox heart grated. I also fed them a frozen food called " Turtle Tucker ". The tank used to get some early morning sun strike which these guys loved. They spawned several times. I raised dozens of young. Watch the babies they tend to eat each other so you need to keep them separated.

Most reactions