New axolotl just got here

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FishNturt808

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Welcome my new pal, Absalom. Just got him today. Real excited. 29A6FA90-EF08-4EDC-AD25-B96E36D93A10.jpeg

Adorable in fact! Haha. My girlfriend wanted the ‘Lucy’ pink one. But since we live on Maui it’s not as easy as just going to the pet shop.

Adorable in fact! Haha. My girlfriend wanted the ‘Lucy’ pink one. But since we live on Maui it’s not as easy as just going to the pet shop.
Ohhhhhh yes. What color is yours? i think that one of my favorite things is looking at pictures of when my axolotls were wee tiny 3 inch babies, compared to now when they are a good 6 to 8 inches! They grow so fast!

What are your plans for this lil guy as he grows?

He’s a glo-green type. I think 🤷🏽‍♂️. For now he is in a 20 long, so I have a bit of time. When upgrading becomes necessary I’ll either go 30gallon, 40 breeder, or even a 60 breeder.

He’s a glo-green type. I think 🤷🏽‍♂️. For now he is in a 20 long, so I have a bit of time. When upgrading becomes necessary I’ll either go 30gallon, 40 breeder, or even a 60 breeder.
Very nice! I have a trio in my 40 breeder. They definitely love the 18 inch width as they’ve grown

D6CD89CB-BF4A-4C69-9107-4D74496E7DAF.png

Here’s my little set up. A bit of glare, but I think it gets the idea across. Lil buddy is being a little shy at the moment. But he’s had a long couple days in a bag so to be expected.

V
View attachment 159369

Here’s my little set up. A bit of glare, but I think it gets the idea across. Lil buddy is being a little shy at the moment. But he’s had a long couple days in a bag so to be expected.
very nice, I love that! That background looks so natural, blends so nicely with the rest of the decor😍😍

Definitely the glo-green. I know it’s genetically modified so frowned upon. But I think he’s awesomeB30C398A-DF5A-42C0-8386-3D258239995A.jpeg

Is this really a thing, a glo in the dark fish?😲
Yes...unfortunately there are some GFP axies and fish....they might look pretty but personally I am not a fan of genetically modified animals

Animals with GFP should not be kept under UV light as it makes them extremely uncomfortable and can cause pain if under UV for long periods of time

Yes...unfortunately there are some GFP axies and fish....they might look pretty but personally I am not a fan of genetically modified animals

Animals with GFP should not be kept under UV light as it makes them extremely uncomfortable and can cause pain if under UV for long periods of time
I just don't get this, sorry!

I just don't get this, sorry!
GFP was originally used on axies in the laboratory so that those studying them could see how they regenerated their body parts such as legs, brain and tail when injured. Humans have always had a fascination towards regeneration of body parts and how it can be adapted into the human body.

Unfortunately GFP found its way into the pet trade axies and once in the bloodline, you can't remove it. As long as you do not use UV lighting and basically only use natural daylight (as per any other axie) and not use any form of artificial lighting, the axies will live a normal life.

Artificial lighting should never be used for any axie, but the GFP variant it is crucial not to use UV as it has shown to be distressing and painful to the axies.

GFP was originally used on axies in the laboratory so that those studying them could see how they regenerated their body parts such as legs, brain and tail when injured. Humans have always had a fascination towards regeneration of body parts and how it can be adapted into the human body.

Unfortunately GFP found its way into the pet trade axies and once in the bloodline, you can't remove it. As long as you do not use UV lighting and basically only use natural daylight (as per any other axie) and not use any form of artificial lighting, the axies will live a normal life.

Artificial lighting should never be used for any axie, but the GFP variant it is crucial not to use UV as it has shown to be distressing and painful to the axies.
I'm sorry, but I hate this hobby when we do this sort of thing.

I'm sorry, but I hate this hobby when we do this sort of thing.
So do I

The use of GFP was originally for medical research only and it was for a legitimate reason...axies are able to regenerate pretty much every part of their body and the use of GFP allowed scientists to actually watch how they do that. GFP was never meant for the domestic pet trade.

Axies are pretty much extinct in the wild due to the enlargement of Mexico City not only covering the Xochimilco lakes but severely polluting them too. These lakes were the only place where axies were thriving on the planet.

That meant axies are only found within laboratories, zoos and as domestic pets. People can debate the use of any animal in a laboratory, most people are against it for varied and understandable reasons. However in using axies in the laboratory it has actually saved the animal along with zoo's and as domesticated pets.

That said, the GFP genetic modification has become something of a "must have" accessory (just as GloFish have become popular).......axies come in such a wide variety of colours, they don't really need the GFP variant to be popular but its "different" and usually more expensive to buy a GFP.....in some cases it's the usual oneupmanship thing.

They just need extra special care in the domesticated situations if they are GFP, you have to be very careful with axies anyway, especially with their water chemistry cos they will not tolerate any inbalance no matter how minute.

The best way to know if your axie is a happy & healthy axie....the fluffier the gill feathers, the happier and healthier the axie is.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back