New Addition To Tank - Unexpected Guest

Jue

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Dec 30, 2005
Messages
137
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Shrewsbury UK
Hi

Having had our tank set up for approximately 8 weeks with 5 resident guppies, we found a new addition to the tank last night at feeding time. A May Fly has hatched in there and is living quite happily on top of the filter.

Has anyone else had this happen to them and does anyone know whether this is likely to be a tropical variety of this species?

Thanks
Jue
 
A fly? Maybe a water fly.. Got me.. I cant see how this could be a good thing.
 
may flies tend to be pests if you have a tank near a open window or other open air ways
 
A May Fly is similar to a very small dragon fly only it can retract its wings. Irridescent greens and blues along its body. I don't think it can have come in through an open window as it wouldn't survive or hatch outside in these temperatures. I had thought that it would have died by now (i think they only live for 24 hours) but he is still going strong. Not doing anything apart from sitting on the filter or flying above the light.

Not the best pic in the world, but you can see it clearly enough

23012006010.jpg
 
Does anyone think it was possible that the nymph (or whatever its called) was in with the plants when I bought them? The tank has got a lid on it, which is permanently in place apart from feeding time so I can't see how it could have got in there unless it came with the plants. It has obviously hatched in there as the casing that it came out of is to the left of it on the filter.

Jue

edited to say that it's definitely not a May Fly - they don't look anything like this. Very similar to a dragon fly but with only one set of wings
 
the draggonfly like thing is a damsell fly, and has proabbly come with your plants.
 
the draggonfly like thing is a damsell fly, and has proabbly come with your plants.


Cheers for that. From the photos I looked at on Google, it looked like Damsel Flies have 2 sets of wings, the same as Dragon Flies so I'm not 100% certain. I don't think it will do any harm in there (she says hopefully!) and I don't expect it will live too much longer as its nearly 24 hours since we found it.

Jue
 
it won't do any harm, and they don't usually live for more than a day
 

Most reactions

Back
Top