New 70gal Tank - A Few Questions

webber555

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Aug 15, 2008
Messages
93
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I have just taken delivery of a 4ft 70gal tank. After some fleeting thoughts about a new world cichlid tank, I've decided to rehome the small community in my 2ft and add to it. I'm not allowed to touch the tank till xmas lol, but I'm allowed to add the filter (Aqua One 1200l/hr) to my small tank to get some bacteria going.

Questions -

1. Is there a danger of overfiltering my small tank? It has zebra danios and rosy barbs so I guess they can take the fast flow? Is it best to run two internals opposite each other or side by side?

2. If I am putting both filters into the new tank with only the current fish in my 2ft and maybe a new pair of kribs ,will the new tank basically be instantly cycled?


3. Stocking - I'm thinking of having the following eventually - can I have some ideas on what else or if anything is incompatible...

3 Rosy Barbs
7 Zebra Danio
2 Kribensis
1 Red Tailed Black Shark
12 Cardinals
6 Tiger Barbs

and I need a suggestion for an algae eater - corys? otos? something else?

If this is way understocked, what are some interesting feature fish or some shoaling fish that would look good?

I'm planning to have the tank heavily planted on one side with some feature driftwood, one side rocky caves and hideouts and lightly planted.

Water here is neutral hardness, ph 7.5

4. Rocks - Slate, granite I know are ok. Sandstone? I have a really nice large stone that would make a sweet feature.

5.The stand didn't come with a base under the tank - i.e it's just sitting on the edge supports and cross members. What is good as a base? styrofoam? Egg crates?

Thanks in advance, Jase
 
no one have any answers? I really just need to know about adding another filter to the 2ft to help build some bacteria up. I already have a 600l/hr internal and a 300l/hr home made which pumps out one side into a bio filter on top of the tank and drains back in the other side. Is adding an internal 1200l/hr too much? And where would it be best placed? Beside the previous or opposite? Same question applies when I move them both over to the new 4ft tank.
 
If you move over the existing filter and fish, it will act like nothing has changed as far as biological filtration. The new filter can be cycled by leaving it on the new tank for 3 or 4 weeks. At that point, if you wanted to put some fish in the old tank you could just move the filter back and consider it cycled. It is a strategy I use to keep a filter ready for a QT if I need one.
 
Thanks for the info. I put the 2nd filter in the small tank as well but the flow was too powerful. I've just left it in turned off. If it picks up anything so be it, doesn't hurt to just sit there.

Any ideas on my other questions? I especially want to find out about the rocks that are suitable. This piece of sandstone looks very nice... :rolleyes:
 
If the 70 gallon is one of the kind that has a frame around the base, you will find that the frame holds the glass up a bit above any surface that might have been there so a solid top for the tank to rest on isn't needed or desirable. The frame holds the weight and needs to be evenly supported.
For the sandstone, try putting a sample in a container with some tap water for a few days and see if it affects the pH. You can do a quick gross check by dripping some vinegar on the rock and looking for fizzing but that will only tell you the real test is worth doing. If it fizzes, there is no point in going further.
 
bumpity bump bump. Still looking for answers to my original Q's.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top