New 60l Tank Little Help Please

elvish27

New Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2009
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hey I was wondering if i got a tank of the dimensions of (WxLxH)30x40x40 so about 65 litres,
would I be able to sustain: A lake Tebera rainbow, a cheery shrimp and about 50 neon tetra's?
Are these fish suitable to coincide with each other and what would be a good water condition for them?
Thanks in advance
 
It is too small for the rainbow, plus the rainbow should be in a shoal anyways.

Cherry shrimp should be kept in groups if you ever want to see them.

And no your tank cannot have ALL the fish listed above.

You could have:
15-20 neons
5 or so cherry shrimp

This would give you a fully stocked tank.
 
50 neons? Am I hearing that right? 15 more like
 
OK so if i had say 12 assorted tetra's and no shrimps in a 65liter what is another good fish but is a bit bigger?
 
Depends on your water...but...

Apistogramma fish are a good 'larger' fish to have (need hard water)
Also honey gouramis (in a male/female pair)
Or a single dwarf gourami
German blue ram (single male or male female pair. However they need soft pristine water, and a high temp, about 28-30C)


Not all of the fish I mentioned will be compatible with all types of tetra. So if you make any decisions please check the fish + number of fish you want to put with them beforehand.

Oh and as I side note. Do you know about cycling?
 
Does this sound alright?
12 assorted Tetras
1 paradise fish
1 gold honey dwarf gourami
1 harvey creek blue eye

at a temp of ???
and which plant's go good with those species?
 
What tetra specifically?
Paradise fish - No
Honey Gourami - Yes, but dependant one what type of tetra, and probably not WITH the rainbow fish. It's probably and either/or scenario.

And could you give the latin name of the rainbowfish...There are a couple I'm looking at that it could be.
 
is it ok if i send you a link?
http://www.livefish.com.au/index.php?main_...products_id=693
http://www.livefish.com.au/index.php?main_...products_id=906
http://www.livefish.com.au/index.php?main_...products_id=952
http://www.livefish.com.au/index.php?main_...products_id=276
http://www.livefish.com.au/index.php?main_...products_id=670

oh and no i dont know what the heck cycling is, up until now all ive ever had is goldfish in a 20liter tank i am very inexperienced. and is buying fish of the net a good idea? or are they likely to die?
 
Ah it was the one I thought it was..
Pseudomugil Signifer - But from the Harvey Creek area. They grow to around 5-7cm and I believe should be kept in shoals. Pref 1 male to 3 females to avoid undue aggression from the male towards the females.

So what types of tetra were you interested in?
If you list the types of tetra I'll give you some stocking numbers.
And I personally wouldn't keep the Honey Gourami in with the rainbows...but I will give stockings that incorporate the gourami, and stockings that dont.
 
Ah it was the one I thought it was..
Pseudomugil Signifer - But from the Harvey Creek area. They grow to around 5-7cm and I believe should be kept in shoals. Pref 1 male to 3 females to avoid undue aggression from the male towards the females.

So what types of tetra were you interested in?
If you list the types of tetra I'll give you some stocking numbers.
And I personally wouldn't keep the Honey Gourami in with the rainbows...but I will give stockings that incorporate the gourami, and stockings that dont.
shame i quite like the look of the harvey creek blue eye, i liked the neon tetras
 
Here is a link to our - Beginners Resource Centre - There are ALOT of amazing links in there to threads you should read as a new fishkeeper. Some of it is neccesary to keep the fish healthy, and some of it is simply interesting.

Here are some links (from within our beginner resource centre) that I think you should specifically read first.
What's Cycling
The Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Fish-in Cycling

I would recommend once you have read all of those that you do a fishless cycle. After you have read all the articles I hope you will agree with me. :)

As for buying fish online...so long as you buy from a reputable dealer then often mortality rates will be higher in comparison to buying from a shop. But as for the actual process of buying online and getting fish shipped. It's absolutely fine. Plenty of people order fish online.
 
Some possible stockings....

1 x Honey Gourami
13 x Neon Tetra

1 x Honey Gourami
4 x Harvey Creek Blue eyes (1m 3f)
6 x Neon Tetra

4 x Harvey Creek Blue Eyes (1m 3f)
9 x Neon Tetra

From what I have read the blue eyes seem to be very peaceful with other fish...and are fine in a whole host of water conditions.
So the set-ups above would be good at 23-24C and from pH 6.5 - 7.5 ish
 
Some possible stockings....

1 x Honey Gourami
13 x Neon Tetra

1 x Honey Gourami
4 x Harvey Creek Blue eyes (1m 3f)
6 x Neon Tetra

4 x Harvey Creek Blue Eyes (1m 3f)
9 x Neon Tetra

From what I have read the blue eyes seem to be very peaceful with other fish...and are fine in a whole host of water conditions.
So the set-ups above would be good at 23-24C and from pH 6.5 - 7.5 ish
what do u mean (1m 3f) for the harvery creek blue eyes i think i will go for something like the middle stocking
 
I said 4 x Harvey Creak Blue Eye, but then put (1m 3f) to say get 4....but get 1 male and 3 females.

However...read the links I gave you before you buy anything. Even if you decide you want to do a fish-in cycle you need to know how to do one correctly.
 
Rainbows do better with more females to males. If you don't get enough females (that is if you plan to keep females as all male groups work just fine) the males will harass the females to death.

Most of the blue-eyes will do well in small tanks, but I would avoid any of the larger species.

Also, rainbows need lots of veggies in their diet. You can suppliment their diet with spirulina flakes to help with that. Live food will intensify their colors as well as provide some roughage in their diet. They also need 50% waterchanges every week.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top