New 60g Planted Journal

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I need to get more lighting for how deep my tank is. Its two ft deep and even at the wattage i'm just not getting enough to keep em going. Well I guess if the loaches would leave them alone for a while it might work out good :) get rid of the clowns and make my 6ft jungle I want :)

Yeah. My tank is about 2ft deep as well,  and I have 1wpg. You should just go pick up a shop light from Lowes. If you two shop lights with T5's, you'd be all set. It probably wouldn't be $30. OR... if you don't mind the look of it, you should get a couple of the black clip on lamps from walmart with a reg bulb in them. You could use whatever wattage you want in them. Plus, you could still use the lights you have now, it would just up the wattage. I've been thinking about getting two of them just to give a boost to the tank. I would try to stay under 2.5 wpg, then you get into the high tech Co2 stuff.  

Bummer about the clowns, but you have to do what you have to do. There's soooo much you could do with a planted 6fter :drool:   It would look amazing with the stones you've got in there.

Just a small update, my angelfish have spawned :yahoo:  On thursday, I had to bring two of them to my lfs bc the other two had paired up and the male was showing some crazy aggression with them. On Friday there were eggs lol.  This is their first spawn, and they're doing great if I may say so myself.  She kept busy all night, guarding and fanning. The male would come in occasionally and it looked like she was nagging him for sleeping hehehehe....

Anyway, here's a couple pics and a link to the video i took on day 1.  My video skills are even worse than my picture taking skills so bare with me :)

DSCN5077_zpsb99da836.jpg

Day 1

DSCN5080_zps50f6e0e1.jpg

Day 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ0QslOvFgk

Been watching this develop and it has come on beautifully.  I agree with other members that it looks better without the large rocks.

I have a piece of wood similar to yours except mine is the other way up, as the bottom is so heavy - you will see it on the right hand side.  It took ages to stay bogged down, I had to use rocks on it for about 4-8 weeks, did yours stay down straight away?

fish.gif
  Your pictures and video are awesome, make sure you put your Angel spawning in for FOTM
fish.gif
  ​
 ​
In fact I think there could be a new competition - video of the month - what do you think mods?
 ​
You could be the first winner
winner.gif

RCA, I was actually pleasantly surprised with how fast it sunk, only about 3 weeks. It did take quite a bit of rocks though. It was very strange would, it was super light but extremely hard. Snipping small pieces of the root was really hard lol.

I never thought about FOTM for the angels, I entered Walter (my bolivian) in the April one already, how silly of me.

Just an update on the tank :)        After the slight bacterial loss, and lots and lots of water changes, my water stats have been great for a couple weeks or so, and there's been a few additions of fish, and lots of additions of plants lol.  

Left side, top of the hill, really starting to fill in. Had to clean up the vallis yesterday, had a ton of run-offs.  Would still say that I prefer the italian to the corkscrew. Grows much faster and corckscrew looks a bit messy still.

Right side of the tank, loving the wood still. Looks much better now that the java ferns are finally starting to take off a bit, probably snipped over 10 babies yesterday as well. Still very satisfied with the growth rate of all of the anubias, I wouldn't call them slow growing! It's still a little tricky planting around the wood root, but I think I'm getting better :)

Anyone know what this plant is?? Crazy what a difference adding one reddish colored plant did. Loving the contrast.

My new pearl gourami, had him/her? for a couple days, really starting to color up beautifully. Very polite, splashes a lot when the lights go out, is that normal? lol

And of course, I have 3 new little polka dots :wub:  Been waiting for this for over a year now.  They're doing great in the tank, started socializing immediately and aren't quite the little characters :)  I'll up the numbers to 5 soon, but for now they're doing great!

Edward the bn has tripled in size and doing awesome. Must have been all the diatom slime :p

AND, as if this update wasn't pic heavy enough, I have a video... only to show another new member of the tank.  If anyone had seen the post I put up when i had the bacterial loss, you're aware that we lost "Junky", my pictus, my 3 year old son's favorite fish. It was sad for quite some time.  He rejected the idea of getting another Junky from the very start so I was very surprised when we spotted a "whiskery" fish in out LFS the other day, which he insisted he had to have. Upon further inspection, I saw it was a baby Junky :wub:.   There was no talking him out of it, and quite frankly, I didn't really try lol.  It took a good two days for baby Junky to adjust to being in the new tank, but now he's doing wonderful and is so much fun to have.  

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifMcREAU8eM[/media]

Awesome looking tank, just love it!!! Looks very healthy too and well looked after.
Am very impressed:)

This is turning into a beautiful tank! And I have to ask ... what's the background music on the latest video??

SLIM said:
Awesome looking tank, just love it!!! Looks very healthy too and well looked after.
Am very impressed:)

Thanks Slim!!!  I have to say I've been feeling a bit down about my tank lately, but sometimes it's good to take a step back and look at your planted journal with a new perspective again haha :)
This Old Spouse said:
This is turning into a beautiful tank! And I have to ask ... what's the background music on the latest video??

Thanks!! The song is called "The Random and the Purpose" by Dax Johnson. I quite liked it too :nod:
RossC said:
Very nice

I have to say guys, that was the first time I've ever had to use the multiquote button :yahoo: lol

Small update: This past weekend, I got my package of dry ferts in the mail :yahoo:.  I also just reached my full dosage time on liquid co2 (seachem excel), also by suggestion from Slim. So hopefully the tank really starts taking off. So I guess this is technically not a low-tech tank anymore :blink:  are there higher expectations from a high-tech tank?! sheesh....

Kind of impatient, looking at the last update pics, the only thing that has grown are my bn's whiskers :rolleyes:  

I've done a little moving around on top of the hill, and added some more wood, will post a pic once i find my camera and the wood doesn't need a ton of rocks to weigh it down.

Are bamboo shrimp escape artists?!?!? 
ninja.gif

Tank is looking really lovely!  I liked the music too :)

Are those green barbs at 1:40?  I thought they were bright blue when I first saw them!

Thanks!!! They are green barbs, but I've found when they're big, fat, and healthy they have a beautiful bluish iridescent color :)

Awesome. Plants looking very green. Hows the ferts and carbon working for you? Seen improvements yet? Algae going?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back