New 18 Galloon Tank

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Swandazi

Reaction score
I'm thinking some platys, some guppys, and maybe a few algae eating shrimp... and some live plants...

What do you guys think? And how many of each species do you think i should get?

Well since you asked.... :D

I think if you add both platies and guppies (even just one or the other..) you're going to quickly be overstocked with fry. Unless, of course, you stick with one sex only. :good: Then you could easily get a couple of each. And there are some great colours out there to choose from!

I love shrimp. They're so interesting to watch. :nod: Plus there are a variety to choose from too, and they don't contribute much to the load of the tank. I would have them in both of my tanks if they didn't keep getting eaten!! :X

Plants are also awesome. It took me a long time to get my growing conditions right, but I think I've got it. You'll definitely want to check out the pinned articles in the planted tank section. :)

thanks for the advice, maybe i should add a larger fish to help control the guppy and platty poplulations? Does any one know a good fish that would eat alot of the fry???

I might add 2 female platies and one male (the marigolds are nice), and a bunch of male guppies - if it were my tank. And then I'd add a nice bunch of tetras - neons, or black, or glowlight maybe...

keeping in mind approx 1" of fish per gallon, you could do 3 platies, 3 guppies, and 8 small tetras... and easily still have room for some babies - should some arrive (and survive). Oh, and the shrimp too. Actually the shrimp may catch and eat some of the fry... as will the parents.

just my 2 cents! :)

i think i'll go with, 5 platies, 5 guppys(i don t know what type yet feel free to suggest on which type i should get regarding all the fish i'm listing), and a 3 shrimp.

And have 5 gallons for their offspring and any other fish i might get in the future...

Do you know of any good fresh water shrimp?

Fair enough. :p

I find my lfs guppies slim pickings... mainly because fancy guppies are not that hardy (you'll want very little water current btw..), and the ones they stock often have fin problems. I'd check what's available in your area and pick something colourful and healthy (duh) looking. ;) I haven't had any luck with them, so I won't advise...

Shrimp on the other hand! :) I'd love to get my hands on some freshwater cherry shrimp, or some bumblebee shrimp. Many people on here keep amanos (for algae control) and tiger shrimp. Currently I have ghost shrimp, which are cheap, hardy, and plentiful in my shops. :good:

I have marigold platies (aka sunburst?), which I really like. Also have blue mickey mouse, and red mickey mouse. They're interesting, but I think I like the red wag better. Google them for pics and see what's out there.

Have fun picking!

Most reactions

Back