FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Leannedeane

Reaction score
Hi All,

Iā€™ve currently got a 120L Tank, I will start to cycle soon and I was wondering about the types/amount of fish I can put in. Here are my ideas so far...
x2 dwarf gourami
X6 red eye Tetra
X1 bristlenose pleco

I want to add some Mollys aswell but not sure how many. Any suggestions are welcome.

The first question is - what it your hardness? Look on your water company's website, you need a number and the unit of measurement (as there are several they could use).

The reason is that mollies need hard water and tetras need soft water. One or other would not be happy, depending on how hard yuor water is.

Dwarf gouramis are a bit of a problem. Most of them are bred in the far east and are suffering from incurable diseases by the time they reach the shop. They commonly just die after a few months. If your water is suitable, honey gouramis are a safer choice.

Just to check - you are going to do a fishless cycle wth ammonia not a cycle with fish?

Hi. Welcome to this place.
Theyā€™re very wise n very helpful on here. The lady in the post above mine knows her stuff. Sheā€™ll help you through the early fishkeeping days.
Unfortunately itā€™s NOT as simple as just filling up a glass box with water and throwing a few fish you like the look of in. For starters some fish donā€™t like the look of others and others like the taste of others.
This lot will keep you right though. They want you to still be on here in years to come. They donā€™t want you to be someone who tried fishkeeping once for a short while and ebayed their tank.
They know their stuff. No questions too daft for them to answer, besides no one could out daft a few of mine and Iā€™m still here.
Have fun.

The first question is - what it your hardness? Look on your water company's website, you need a number and the unit of measurement (as there are several they could use).

The reason is that mollies need hard water and tetras need soft water. One or other would not be happy, depending on how hard yuor water is.

Dwarf gouramis are a bit of a problem. Most of them are bred in the far east and are suffering from incurable diseases by the time they reach the shop. They commonly just die after a few months. If your water is suitable, honey gouramis are a safer choice.

Just to check - you are going to do a fishless cycle wth ammonia not a cycle with fish?

Hi Essjay,

Thanks for your response. We have hard water
In our area, 297ppm to be exact.

Didnā€™t realise that about tetras so thanks for that info! We will definitely be doing a fish less cycle. I love honey gourami so Iā€™ll definitely bare them in mind. Is there any smaller fish youā€™d recommend having alongside them based on the hard water?

We currently have a 54L Tank with guppyā€™s and mollies which we love and is going really well. Looking for to adding more fish to the family.

Thanks again for your response.
Leanne

Guppies and mollies will be very happy in your water. I would move the mollies into the 120 litre as they grow quite large.

With your hardness, soft water fish including honey gouramis are not suitable. But as you already have a tank, you could possibly keep hard water fish in one, then use RO water to make the water softer in the other. I would suggest using the 120 for hard water fish, moving both mollies and guppies. That would mean the 54 litre for soft water as that would mean having to buy less RO water for the smaller volume.

Assuming the 54 litre is 60 cm long, if you mix your tap water with RO you could keep a pair of honey gouramis and a species of one of the small tetras.
In the 120 litre, the mollies and guppies you currently have, with maybe more of them or another hard water species.

Hi!
Thanks for the reply and advice. Some good ideas for me to think about here.
Leanne

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back