Never seen this before... "clamped" betta fins

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PNWBettas

Reaction score
This has been going around my fishroom and I am at a total loss. 5 bettas infected now. All cycled tanks, planted, regular water changes, but some of my betta are having major fin issues. Their fins become smooshed looking, almost clamped. They cant extend them all the way when they flare anymore. I have never seen or heard of anything like this. If you have ever read anything about this or had experience with it, please let me know. I've been trying different antibiotics assuming it was bacterial but nothing is working.

I've already tested my water a thousand times, done aquarium salt, all tanks I keep with tannins. I am stumped

Attachments

• File_000 (2).jpeg
    File_000 (2).jpeg
    149.4 KB · Views: 55
Not betta fish, but my guppies have had clamped fins. For me it usually has something to do with the water perimeters so i just do a 20-40 percent water change and in a day I see a difference in their fins.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Any chance you can remove the tannins with a big water change and then photograph the fish?
It's a bit hard to tell what is going on with the yellow water and yellow fins.

----------------------
Clamped fins are caused by poor water quality, bacteria, fungus or external protozoan infections. The bacteria, fungus and protozoans are all caused by a dirty tank or poor water quality that damages the fish and lets the disease organisms in.

What is the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH of the water?

How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do water changes?
Do you dechlorinate the new water before adding it to the aquariums?

What sort of filter is on/ in the tanks?
How often and how do you clean the filter/s?
Do you have carbon in the filter?

How long has this been going on for?
Have you added anything to the tanks in the 2 weeks before this started?

What other fish are in the tanks?

What is causing the tannins, driftwood or something else?

What did you use to treat them?

What dose rate did you use for the salt?

----------------------
Anti-biotics should only be used on known bacterial infections that have not responded to normal treatments. Improper use and mis-use of anti-biotics has lead to drug resistant bacteria that kill people, animals, birds, reptiles and fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back