Nerite snails in a fry tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

nik_n

Fish Crazy
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Today I added a nerite snail in my fry tank to help with the clean up, so eating left over food and algae. However I notice he produces a lot of waste. Should I keep him in there or do I take him out? Thanks

keep, if you like it. because every living thing you put in tank adds to the waste output

I keep ramshorns in my fry tanks for the same reason. Small, daily water changes are required for fry, so i wouldn't worry too much about the waste. You'll be siphoning it out every day anyway

Ramhorns create a LOT of waste. I regret ever adding them.

You can leave them in there if you wish, but you will have a lot of cleanup to do. (e.i. Substrate vacuums - probably not the best idea in a fry tank)

Today I added a nerite snail in my fry tank to help with the clean up, so eating left over food and algae. However I notice he produces a lot of waste. Should I keep him in there or do I take him out? Thanks
How big is the fry tank?
Plants?

My nerites don't touch uneaten food. But they do eat algae.

If you want something to remove uneaten food, that's your job I'm afraid.

My nerites don't touch uneaten food. But they do eat algae.

If you want something to remove uneaten food, that's your job I'm afraid.
uneaten food gets eaten by mystery snail, bladder snail, not sure about ramshorn snail :)
*my experience

uneaten food gets eaten by mystery snail, bladder snail, not sure about ramshorn snail :)
*my experience
I have observed my BRH snails eating left over Cory food. They usually won’t mess around with the flakes, because they aren’t solid enough. My shrimp take care of those. :)

I keep ramshorn in my Cory fry tank to clean up uneaten food. They do a great job! I just use a Turkey baster and suck up their poop every couple of days. I do daily water changes. I also have a new 20 gallon long that I cycled with a filter from another tank. I added ramshorn in there to feed the bacteria until fry get a little larger. I feed them a little flake food each day so between the food and their poop my tank stays cycled until fry move over. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back