Nerite snail dying??

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Kelly Preussner

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i am new to snails. I have 6 nerite snails in my tank with Livebearers because I heard they are best for NOT reproducing. One of my snails was upside down as I often find them, I flipped it over & it still has not moved in over 1 day. I can see it is not attached to the bottom of the tank. I took it out & smelled it, does not smell at all. The “trap door” is soft. I have heard these are all indications the snail is still alive. I am now going on day two of it not attaching to anything. Should I leave it in the tank??

A dead snail smells appalling, once you've sniffed it you'll never forget that smell.

My nerites go through phases of landing on their backs, and I have to turn them over. But I have to say that once they stop moving, mine have usually died a few days later. Keep an eye on yours, you don't want to leave a dead snail in the tank. Check it very day.

Make sure your water quality is good and if you have any concerns about their health, do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Thanks. Water is all good. I actually did my weekly 50% change 2 days ago. I have 6 total nerites and the others are moving around beautifully. This particular snail is my largest by far & it just won’t move yet.

Update, my snail is still not moving but also not dead. All other snails are good. I will keep checking every day. Thanks!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back