neons and ich

aliandwasabi

Reaction score
just wondering...i have three neons sharing a tank with a betta...i just noticed today that they neons have white specs on them which i take it is ich...they have only been part of the tank for 4 or 5 days max....if i just separate them is the tank and my betta going to be ok? is there anything in particular that i should do to help the neons?

thanks
ali

:sad: I would use some medication to cure the ick on the neons. There are lots of medication out there for ich, but I prefer to use "Quick Cure" because it comes in blue drops and cures ick fast. I would suggest you move the neons into a hospital tank and treat them. I once had a serious case of ich. Five fish in my tank had about a dozen white spots over them and I transported them all into a hospital tank. I repeated the treatment two times and they all got cured. The betta should be fine, but I would watch it for any signs of ich. I hope all goes well!

Ali,

If the neons are showing signs of Ich then you will need to treat the whole tank, not just the infected fish. If you have a read of this thread:

Ich

it explains what Ich is, how it progesses through its life cycle etc etc. It will also help clarify as to why you need to treat the whole tank.

HTH :D

Btw - You might want to think about getting a small quaratine tank, it will save you the risk of you "importing" Ich into your main tank each time you buy new fish. :sad:

I think neons have a high chance of having parasites/illnesses as they are mass produced and have a high faitality rate, if you bought 12 neons 2 would almost definatly show a sign of illness.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back