Neon Unwell/not Shoaling?

60007

New Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2009
Messages
35
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Lancaster
Hello all, I purchased 5 Neon tetras about 3 days ago, in the hope they will all school together.

However, there is one in particular, which stays in the cave ornament I have in the tank. I have noticed that it had been getting bullied by my 2 Danios when it first arrived, but they seem to have calmed down now. All my other neons shoal together most of the time, only being split up ocasionally by my 2 danios chasing each other. Its not like this little neon doesn't shoal, it sometimes plucks up the courage to do so, but is often bullied out of the group by other neons. His colour hasn't faded and he always goes up for food when I put it out.

The water is normal and the temperature and PH are fine

My worry is if it has Neon Tetra Disease, and I really don't know what to do.

Thanks,

Andy
 
Wouldn't worry about it myself. As long as there are no other symptoms might just be a loner or slower to acclimatise than the others. Keep an eye on it.
 
if the fish hasn't changed colour and died within 48hours, it does not have neon disease. Neon disease kills fish really quickly, within a day or so.

keenonfish is probably correct and the little guy just needs a bit more time to settle down. You could also increase the size of the group. Neons school better when there are large numbers. However, it depends on tank size. A small tank will limit you to how many you can have. But if it hasn't started hanging around with the others, try increasing the number to 10-15 neons, (if you have space).

You might also want to increase the number of danios you have. They naturally occur in large groups as well and the bullying you mention could simply be them wanting to hang out with the neons for company.

NB, if the tank is newly set up and hasn't got an established filter, don't add any more fish until it isestablished :)
 
I had the exact issue. One guy never came out of a cave!

They're all fine now so I really wouldn't worry!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top