Neon tetra has black growth on face

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Man I honestly have no idea

The pictures don't help :(

Have you tried grabbing the black thing and seeing if it comes out?
I had a fish that swallowed a hair and was swimming around for a day with a bit of hair hanging out its mouth. I caught the fish up and grab the end of the hair and pulled it out.

The black thing doesn't look like a disease and looks like it might be coming out of the fish's mouth. Maybe it ate something it shouldn't have eaten.

No I haven't tried grabbing it, what would be the best way to go about that?

Catch the fish in a net and keep it in the water, then use a pr of tweezers to carefully grab the black bit and see what happens. If the fish freaks then let it go because it is attached to the fish.

Catch the fish in a net and keep it in the water, then use a pr of tweezers to carefully grab the black bit and see what happens. If the fish freaks then let it go because it is attached to the fish.
Ok I'll do that in a bit and see how it goes

Update:
I netted him out and while he was still under the water I tried to use the tweezers. I figured that before I tried pulling on it I would gently tap it to get a feeling for how solid it is. It is VERY solid. Almost more solid than the fish itself haha. And it is most definitely attached to the fish. I am so confused, could it be some kind of tumor or cyst?

I can try to get more photos if you think that would help?

You can post more pictures but if it's solid and attached to the fish, it's probably a tumor and there isn't much you can do. Monitor the fish and if it stops eating or has trouble swimming, euthanise it.

Should I put it back in the main tank with my other fish?

Okay. Tanks for the advice

lol that was a typo but I guess it can be a joke too....

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back