Neon tetra disease?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

msbonimc

Reaction score
Hello All--
I am concerned that one of my neons may have NTD. These are my first neons, so I'm clueless.

My tank is 55L, with a betta, amanos, a nerite and nine neons. It's planted/heated/filtered, long cycled, and the water parameters are unremarkable.

The neons have been in the tank since the begining of October. The neon in question is the smallest of the group, and has looked like this since coming home from the fish store. Outside of the lumpy belly, I see no other evidence of costs, and the color is quite vibrant and like the other neons. This fish has always been a bit of a loner, but does interact with the school. Honestly, it looks like it just overate, except that It's always like this.

What do you think? Does anyone know the lifecycle timeline of Pleistophora hyphessobryconis?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 16098678841914261807599895876413.jpg
    16098678841914261807599895876413.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 16098679190537326376979246478284.jpg
    16098679190537326376979246478284.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 47
It's not neon disease. Neon disease causes the blue and red lines to fade over a 24 hour period and the fish usually die within 24 hours of that happening.

It's either a tumour or something wrong internally. If the fish is eating well and swimming ok, just leave it be.

Thanks for quick reply. I am relieved to hear that it's not NTD. :)

do neons get dropsy? maybe dropsy or constipation. feed boiled and peeld peas if constipation

Thanks for the answer. I thought about that, but it does poo, and they look normal to me. It also still likes to eat, so I'm guessing it's not constipation, but it sure looks like it.

Thanks for the answer. I thought about that, but it does poo, and they look normal to me. It also still likes to eat, so I'm guessing it's not constipation, but it sure looks like it.
do some research about tumor or internal thingies?

I'm thinking that's probably the route to go. Poor little bugger.

There's no cure for tumours or internal growths in fish. The fish don't do well under anesthetic or out of water during the operation and most die during the procedure. Neons are also way to small to operate on.

Fish with internal problems (dropsy, internal bacterial or protozoan infections, or intestinal worms) will do a stringy white poop. If the fish's poop is coloured, then it's digestive tract is fine.

-------------------
Any fish can get dropsy. It's an inflammation of the abdomen caused by fluid build up and is most commonly caused by an internal infection. Fish with dropsy usually stop eating, do a stringy white poop and die shortly after showing symptoms.

The most common symptoms include sudden bloating (getting fat overnight) and the scales around the belly stick out from the body (pine coning).

There's no cure for tumours or internal growths in fish. The fish don't do well under anesthetic or out of water during the operation and most die during the procedure. Neons are also way to small to operate on.

Fish with internal problems (dropsy, internal bacterial or protozoan infections, or intestinal worms) will do a stringy white poop. If the fish's poop is coloured, then it's digestive tract is fine.

-------------------
Any fish can get dropsy. It's an inflammation of the abdomen caused by fluid build up and is most commonly caused by an internal infection. Fish with dropsy usually stop eating, do a stringy white poop and die shortly after showing symptoms.

The most common symptoms include sudden bloating (getting fat overnight) and the scales around the belly stick out from the body (pine coning).
Thanks again for your help. Yeah, it's not dropsy, and it seems happy. So long as It's not NDT, I'm happy. ?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back