The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I Like Rare Fish

Fish Herder
2x Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Hi,

Thought I would share a picture of my Mokelembembe Bichir (Polypterus Mokelembembe). His head is neon green!
CA1B1809-8F03-46CD-A5E3-9A3DBCD64154.jpeg
9DECA869-D215-4833-9276-C9D2057A0DCB.jpeg
CC455A41-6D02-47F8-9851-86694CDB6BDB.jpeg

Very interesting! Was he always like that? He looks amazing

Very interesting! Was he always like that? He looks amazing

Where did the neon color come from. Is it a normal color trait for Bichir? Fish looks interesting.
Yes, everything is normal. The fishs color is normal…this fish is a wild caught, which I know many people don’t support. I bought it from a guy a few weeks ago. He just got used to the darker sand color and colored up a bit.

Yes, everything is normal. The fishs color is normal…this fish is a wild caught, which I know many people don’t support. I bought it from a guy a few weeks ago. He just got used to the darker sand color and colored up a bit.
Super cool that he colored up like that! I never knew a bichir could color up like that

You may know this, but Bichirs blend in with surroundings. They can deepen or lighten colors. I have black sand, so they deepens their colors.
That is very ingenious! But where does the green come from? Just a rare gene or is this in all bichirs of that type?

That Bichir almost looks like its a GPF (green fluorescing protein). Similar traits can be found in other aquatic animals such as Axolotl

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back