Needlefish And A Dragon Goby?

xtraman122

Reaction score
Hi, I'm wondering if I could put a Dragon Goby in with my Needlefish(5-6") and have them be okay if the Goby had cover. Not sure if the Needle would just poke it's eyes out and attempt to eat it.

Thanks for any advice, Pete

The dragon goby is brackish and if you do not keep it in a brackish environment, you will have continuous problems. Trust me, I learned the hard way. Also, the needlefish, which I am assuming is Xenedon Cancila is a schooling fish that needs lots of cover. There is some controversy over whether or not it is brackish, but personally I think they are not, as I keep mine with no salt and my aunt had a group of them in a low level brackish setup (sg of 1.003) and they just didn't seem to really thrive. If you did keep them together, there shouldn't be too many issues as the dragon goby is a bottom dweller that only really comes off the bottom to feed. They concerns that I could see would be if the dragon goby was small (ie, less than 3-4 in). However,I would not recommend keeping them together due to the different environmental needs. However, if you were absolutely set on keeping them together, I would suggest a low level brackish, as the needle fish would survive in such an environment, but a dragon goby would not live long in freshwater at all and it certainly would not come even close to thriving. I would say, if at all possible, keep them in separate tanks or give one to your lfs. Also, the 50 is more than enough for the goby, but long term the needlefish would ideally need a 5'x2'x2'. It also needs lots of floating plants as cover. If possible, try to simulate a river with some slack pools as that is their natural environment.

EDIT: grammar and additional info

Thanks for the info. I was planning on just getting another Needlefish as I hear they like to have company. I had read that the Goby's liked brackish water, but I wasn't sure if it would be much of a problem.

yep a group of needlefish will need more than a 50g
they get 12" and are one of the most skittish fish ive come across

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back