Ropefish attacked Dragon Goby - euthanize?

newmag1659

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 55 with a couple dojo loaches, a small ropefish (8 inches give or take), and I just recently added a dragon goby. I noticed the dragon goby was being harrassed by the ropefish but I decided to give them time to sort it out. During feeding, the ropefish just grabbed the goby by the pectoral fin until I was able to break it up. The pectoral fin on the goby now looks broken. Do I euthanize or can it heal? I'm just confused since ropefish have a reputation of being passive and it's never bothered the dojo loaches. Currently put the goby in a clear container with a couple drops of clove oil to sedate so I can try and get a picture

Tank size: 55 gallons
tank age: a couple years
pH: 8.2
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 25 ppm
kH: not sure
gH: not sure
tank temp: 75 degrees

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior): lethargic, broken fin?

Volume and Frequency of water changes: 25% every month (heavily planted, frequent water changes aren't needed anymore)

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: n/a

Tank inhabitants: 4 small dojo loaches, one small ropefish, one small dragon goby

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): dragon goby

Exposure to chemicals:

Digital photo (include if possible): will update if I can get one, he's still squirmy

Video doesn’t play for me but a broken fin is nothing to worry about.

Ropefish need to be kept in a group, like Dojo Loaches. They’re stressed on their own, which is probably why it attacked the new addition.

I see, I didn't know that. Thank you for educating me. I'll keep the dragon goby a hospital tank and treat him. I'll go ahead and take the ropefish to my LFS so he can go to a home where he won't be stressed.

Thank you!

I can't see the video either - if you upload it youtube, then you can link it here.

But I wouldn't euthanise for a broken fin either. Even if the fin heals at an angle, the fish will adjust. Give him time to heal, plenty of clean fresh water in quarantine, and see how he does. Monitor for secondary infections from the wound.

I can't see the video either - if you upload it youtube, then you can link it here.

But I wouldn't euthanise for a broken fin either. Even if the fin heals at an angle, the fish will adjust. Give him time to heal, plenty of clean fresh water in quarantine, and see how he does. Monitor for secondary infections from the wound.
thank you! he's in a 5 gallon hospital bucket with some salt and a sponge filter - I'll pick up some methylene blue tomorrow

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back