Need Your Help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fatheadminnow

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Okay, so when I got home from college the other day I found out that my sister has a goldfish in her room. She asked me to take a look at him because he was in a VERY small bowl. I said I have no room for that fish and that we are going to have to try to find a new home for him.

I also found out that she won the fish at her school in Spanish class. I guess the entire Spanish department had an activity and I guess among the prizes were gold fish. My sister said that there was a huge tub of gold fish and then people who won (whatever game(s)) were awarded a gold fish. Well, when I found out how my sister obtained her goldfish, I was most displeased.

In an attempt to put an end to this I wanted to write a letter to the school explaining what they did, gave away free goldfish, was wrong. But when I wanted to start writing the letter, I was lost as to what to say.

So, I am wondering if anyone wants to throw up a quick letter for me that I can send to the school. I may change the letter around a little to make it more accurate... but I would like someone to write one for me... or PM me one that has been written in the past for the same reason as mine.

I also found out that some people who have wont he goldfish lacked the proper housing for them, so then ended up just throwing the goldfish out of their car window while driving...

I need your help, please! Write up a letter for me.

Thank you!

-FHM

Oh that really sounds awful! My school has done this thing for the past two years where they stick guppies/apple snails/bettas with some pond muck in the bottom half 2 liter bottles with plants on top and call it a biodome... Apparently the fishkeeping biology teacher sees no problem with this. I've thought about writing a letter next year if they do it again.

Annnnyways, here's a junky letter I whipped up, feel free to edit it and mesh it onto other letters as it's less than perfect.

----

Dear so and so,
I am very disappointed that (school/teacher/class) had given away animals as rewards for activities in Spanish classes. While the animals were "only" goldfish, goldfish are not any more disposable or easier to care for than a pet cat or dog. Fish require specific living conditions, environments, time, and money, if they are to live longer than a few days. Goldfish cannot be simply kept in a "fishbowl" if they are expected to have any quality to their life. Giving away live creatures as prizes is a disgusting and archaic practice, as people receiving the animals are not prepared for their care and the animals can easily suffer in inexperienced hands. Students and their parents are not likely prepared for keeping a fish and may not want to care for it, let alone humanely. I have even heard that your students were throwing the goldfish out of moving car windows, not knowing what to do with them. Live animals are not toys to be given out, played with, and thrown away. Giving away animals as disposable treats sets a poor example for students.

Keeping a pet is a serious commitment, and despite goldfish being very common and fairly cheap, they are no less difficult to care for and no less of a commitment than keeping a large pet like a cat or dog. A school would not give away puppies, and nor should they goldfish. I urge that you discontinue giving away animals as prizes, and provide students who received the fish with information on their care.

----

If you feel like being extra... Uhm, mean, you could include a price quote on how much it costs to set up a goldfish tank in time and money, or some facts about how much room they need and how big they grow :blink: , or info on nitrogen cycling etc. It's not horribly expensive, but it's really not something a parent wants their kid to come home and be like "Guess what mom! We need to shell out 40 bucks for this fish the school dropped on me without even telling me how to care for it!"

Also, tell them if they do it again you'll write the the school board, the RSPCA (or equivelant if you're not inthe UK) and the local papers!

****ers!

My sister just turned 16, and since we live in the US, I am not sure if that applies or not? I will read the article you sent me! Thank you again!

-FHM

You should just rock up to either the principal or the spanish teacher and be like:

Congratulations! You or someone you know had entered you into X competition. Your name was drawn out for a prize! And as our lucky winner you get your VERY OWN SNAKE!

But make sure it's a taipan or similar.

Also, maybe wear a suit and have some people follow you around who throw confetti or play trumpets when you announce it, so it looks more authentic.

I wouldn't know what to put, but I think its decent of you to go out of your way and write a letter. Its a complete farce what they are doing and I am quite surprised!

James.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back