Need To Start Again - Please Advise

Metermaid

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Feb 13, 2005
Messages
159
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Milton Keynes
After losing all my Mbuna cichlids yesterday to a faulty heater - overheated, I now need to consider what to do next. I don't feel I would want to restock with Mbuna but, as you will see from the pic below, the tank has been specifically set up for them. So my question is - is there anything else that would be happy in this environment (sorry, I look into the Mbuna before i set up the tank but my other fish knowledge is limited).



tank5.jpg
 
Yeouw!!! you are very, very flexible here.... could be anything you wish, but by adding a little "Vallisneria" or some other plant, The sky's the limit......
 
Do you find that the coral rocks do a good job of buffering the water? If so, you need to find fish that do good in higher ph water. Otherwise, take out the coral and put some tall plants in and have a good community tank.

What sort of fish catch your eye?
 
Thank you for the comments - not sure about pH now, haven't tested for ages, will do it tomorrow - also not sure about which fish I would like, haven't really got that far, but good to know I will have options!
 
Hi Metermaid

A fellow person from Milton Keynes ! :)

Im sorry to hear about your losses, I had something similar happen to me not too long ago, luckily I caught it in time but now I use 2 heaters, both half power of what I need, so if one goes haywire, it wont overheat.

That is a fantastic looking tank though, I really wanted Mbuna when I first started but wasnt experienced enough - but as Ludwig said, the sky is definately the limit :)
 
Right have tested pH it's 8.0 - as for fish that catch my eye....off the top of my head, things like Silver shark, tinfoils, Pim Pictus, Kribs, love Amano shrimp oh and Corys and Clown loach.
 
The tank isn't big enough for the Tinfoils or shark. Tinfoils grow FAST ! Corys and Loaches need a soft substrate.

Check out the New World Cichlid section. Kribs, Keyholes, Firemouth, Rams etc. They are all beautiful and interesting fish.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top