Need To Identify This Fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PlecostomusPerson

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I recently bought a fish from a very large aquatic store I might add, and they literally had no clue what this fish was. It was with the kribensis tank. This was the only one and they gave it to me practically for free, $5. They said it was because they didn't know. Anyways I also want to say I recently found some fry, but only 3 and I think they're hybrids (from this fish and a blue cichlid I've had for awhile) The fry literally look like none of the supposed parents, but little color has shown. The pictures are of the same fish.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 430
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 448
Gotta say this was quite hard to find for me, not even sure if i've found the correct one since i know precious little about cichlid species
laugh.png

Think have whittled your specie down to being of Psudotropheus group

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=889

or 

http://www.africancichlids.net/gallery/gallery-malawi.php
(scroll down to Psudotropheus flavus and click on these 3 pictures)

Does these look anything like your fish in that tank?

Would suggest if its not that particular one, google search Psudotropheus species of cichlids and you may come across the one that most resembles your cichlid.

Do bear in mind though that there are over 1,400 specie of cichlid, so kind of a needle in haystack kinda search for someone like me
laugh.png

Good luck  
smile.png

I have to say thanks again, but I actually do have psudotropheus species in the tank with him, that's the other blue fish. I will try and take some better pictures. The mystery fish is quite small and more round. In the pictures it looks more long and oval, I guess.

Here are some more pictures, I don't think they'll do any better, but she has a blue mouth, red fin, and orange body. My Pleco is roughly 14 in long, so you can see somewhat of a size. The blue fish is the other one. Much bigger than mystery fish. I've looked at a lot more fish online and I find things close, but never exact. I've had the mystery fish for almost 3 months. If I am able, should I make another thread in new world?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 472
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 402
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 431
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg