Need Suggestions For New Tank

Gary335

New Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2006
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I am about to set up a new 20 gallon (high, not wide) tank, and am looking for suggestions on what kinds of fish to put in it. I'm aiming for a community type tank, so I know I want fish that would get along with one another, and no fin nippers. I would also want to have some fish that inhabit each level of the tank. And since its only a 20 gallon tank I wouldn't want anything that get's very large.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated! B)
 
cardinal tetras are mostly mid dwellers

are you going with any plants in there?
my platys contrast well with the green, they tend to inhabit all areas of the tank, mollies will as well but mollies are a touch larger than platys

some cory doras are good bottom of the tank inhabitants and they're very active swimmers from what i've seen.

not sure if those fish are too basic for ya, but they're doing well in my 45 gal, makes for good contrast
 
I am about to set up a new 20 gallon (high, not wide) tank, and am looking for suggestions on what kinds of fish to put in it. I'm aiming for a community type tank, so I know I want fish that would get along with one another, and no fin nippers. I would also want to have some fish that inhabit each level of the tank. And since its only a 20 gallon tank I wouldn't want anything that get's very large.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated! B)

I currently have my 20 high stocked with:

1 American Flag Fish
1 Amano Shrimp
7 Albino Cories
6 Platies
1 Golden Wonder Killifish

What kind of filter do you have? Substrate?
 
I'm stocking a similar tank in the near future and am probably going to get a small school of guppies, one of the Dwarf Gourami variants, a group of small corydoras (would like pandas but it depends on what my store has in) and a small plec, hopefully a pitbull. With that I'm should be at a nice stocking level with interest in all areas of the tank.

P.S if you put corys in a tank with a sand substrate they're meant to be extremely fun to watch, have a read through the cory forum (under catfish) and see what I mean.
 
As far as live plants are concerned the only the only thing I'm planning to have is some floating water sprite. Everything else will be plastic. as forsubstrate, I'll be using gravel. As for the filter, I'll be using a basic cartridge filter. Nothing fancy.

LOL anodized. Beleive me, nothing is too basic for me. :lol:

I like the guppy idea, Egmel. My father used to breed guppies, and that's something I'd like to try my hand at.
 
I have a few more questions: About how many fish can put in a tank this size? Also, does having live plants in the tank further limit the number of fish that can be put in a tank this size? Also, when it comes to schooling fish, what is the minimum number of fish that should be bought? Des it vary by species?
 
I have a few more questions: About how many fish can put in a tank this size?
About 20" of fish, saying that the inch per gallon rule is a very rough guideline that only works for small fish. However in a small tank you're only really going to fit small fish!
Also, does having live plants in the tank further limit the number of fish that can be put in a tank this size?
Wouldn't have thought so unless you have a serious fetish for plants & stuff the tank so full that there's no swimming room.
Also, when it comes to schooling fish, what is the minimum number of fish that should be bought? Des it vary by species?
Yes it varies by fish but 6 is a good minimum number for tetras etc & 4 or 5 for cories.
 
If it's high get some angels - and then some mollies or something.

In fact, I am soo pleased with my longfinned zebra danios - they swim ALL over my tank, through my decor, to the top, hit the gravel haha! If you want movement, energy and all round awesome (and not too mention hardy lil' buggers) get some danios - in your tank 6-8 would be perfect!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top