Need Some Thoughts Please...

coldcazzie

Ice Queen
Joined
Aug 7, 2009
Messages
4,734
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
W.Yorks, UK
Ok, currently I have 2 angels in a Rio 240. Am hoping to get some large tetras, a pair of BNs and some bottom dwellers - I was thinking corys but having done the research I am starting to wonder about the wisdom of that as I have my tank at around 26oC and I know they like cooler temps.

So then I was wondering about some loaches - maybe kuhli or zebra loaches, which would be alright with the temp my tank is at...

Seems like a daft question but any opinions as to which would be better?

Either way, whether I go for loaches or corys - both prefer sang substrate and I have gravel. Smooth gravel, but gravel nonetheless. If I swap to sand then ideally it should be done with only the 2 angels in there because then I'm only stressing out 2 fish rather than loads, but I have some Qs on how I go about it?

Obviously remove the fish to a bag in a poly box and the filter sponges to a bucket of tank water, drain the water and remove as much gravel as poss, putting in pre-washed sand and rescape. After putting water back in how long do I need to leave it before putting the fish and filter back in? If I put the filter on right away won't it get clogged with particles, or will it be alright if I put new filter wool in and then replace after a couple of days? Also, will the fish be bothered by the murky water? How long can I leave the filter without a flow of water before the bacteria start to die?

Sorry, but wanna cause as little stress as poss, but this def has to be done sooner rather than later if I want to make the change...
 
Also, would corys or loaches mind a mix of sand and gravel? Kind of... riverbed-style?
 
Also, would corys or loaches mind a mix of sand and gravel? Kind of... riverbed-style?

If i were you i would change to sand because its alot better for corys, plecs, loaches,etc. And i would get the kuli loaches. it just seems a better decission. :good:
 
If it is smooth small gravel then it should be ok.

In 240l you could get both cories and loaches but maybe not along with 2x Bristlenose as well. Zebra loaches are far more visible and active than khulis as are cories, go for around 5-6 of whichever you go for.
 
I like zebras as well :) - I like the idea of the river bed style, though I would do something like 2/3 sand 1/3 gravel but use a very small smooth gravel, personally I have kept medium sized loaches and cories on smooth gravel with no problems though now I know that sand is a much better alternative.

When you swap the substrate I would take out all the fish as with sand flying around it could get trapped in the gills. With the filter the sand can sometimes clog the impeller which is the main problem. But if you give the sand a really good wash off when it is added to the tank it should just sink - I think there are videos on youtube on how to wash sand for use in tanks. Then if it was me I would catch the fish, take all decorations out, give the gravel a really good vacuum, then use a different net to the one you use for fish and transfer the gravel out the tank but I would keep the water at just bellow the bottom of the filter. If you can aim to have the sand added with the filter off in under 30 mins you should be fine. As long as its been washed thoroughly the sand should sink and any floating parts left will just be dust, your idea of adding the filter floss is really good and this should catch all stray parts very easily. Then just re scape it how you want - you should be able to plant etc with the filter on with the floss in no probs and then aim to get the fish back in about 40 mins to an hour later, the water should have settled by then. Hope thats helped

Wills
 
I like zebras as well :) - I like the idea of the river bed style, though I would do something like 2/3 sand 1/3 gravel but use a very small smooth gravel, personally I have kept medium sized loaches and cories on smooth gravel with no problems though now I know that sand is a much better alternative.

When you swap the substrate I would take out all the fish as with sand flying around it could get trapped in the gills. With the filter the sand can sometimes clog the impeller which is the main problem. But if you give the sand a really good wash off when it is added to the tank it should just sink - I think there are videos on youtube on how to wash sand for use in tanks. Then if it was me I would catch the fish, take all decorations out, give the gravel a really good vacuum, then use a different net to the one you use for fish and transfer the gravel out the tank but I would keep the water at just bellow the bottom of the filter. If you can aim to have the sand added with the filter off in under 30 mins you should be fine. As long as its been washed thoroughly the sand should sink and any floating parts left will just be dust, your idea of adding the filter floss is really good and this should catch all stray parts very easily. Then just re scape it how you want - you should be able to plant etc with the filter on with the floss in no probs and then aim to get the fish back in about 40 mins to an hour later, the water should have settled by then. Hope thats helped

Wills

Thanks :good:

The gravel that's in there at the moment is very small and smooth - we're talking 2-3mm for each bit. I have kept corys before on it and they seemed alright, but I now know that sand is better.

I'm not sure about whether to make the swap or not...there's a bit of me that's thinking it would be really nice, esp with the gravel mixed in and the large flat stones I have which would have to hide the bubble stones (can't see those working so well buried in sand lol!), and then build up to a sort of bank in the back right corner by the filter with wood and heavily planted. Sounds odd but I can see it in my mind's eye and it looks lovely lol

Sand doesn't work so well in banks though... don't want any anaerobes building up and killing my fish off.

I also can't seem to find any consistent info on how big zebra loaches get - some places say 4-5 inch, some say up to 8.5 :crazy: which is a bit of a difference!
 
Wow never heard of a 8.5 inch zebra loach!! I would have said 3.5-4.5 but thats just from reading not keeping
 

Most reactions

Back
Top