Need Ideas/help

Just_Another_One

Fishaholic
Joined
Apr 5, 2007
Messages
575
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Vancouver, Canada
Well I started off with a 33 gallon then after about a year I told my mom I was going to upgrade and she had no problems with it THEN. So I got a 65 gallon and kept that for about 6 months before I sold it as all but two of my fish died from Columinaris and it turned into one great big problem tank. When I sold it I told her I was going to get a new tank later on but she said "maybe in spring time"...

Since December when I sold the 65 gall I've had two 10 gallon communities and a 6 gallon betta which was fine for a while but now im DYING to get rid of the two 10 gallons and buy a nice 38 gallon from Big Als.

I reminded her last night about getting a new tank in spring but now shes DENYING even saying that and said basically "no way, absolutly not for my new tank" :( :( :( :( I have the money and the tanks just go in my bedroom so its not like its hurting her in anyway...

I need some help with ideas to throw at her later. I already have one idea which is to buy some fish that grow to big for a 10 gallon then she will have to let me upgrade but im not sure if that will work...

Any help is appreicated. Thanks
 
Well I started off with a 33 gallon then after about a year I told my mom I was going to upgrade and she had no problems with it THEN. So I got a 65 gallon and kept that for about 6 months before I sold it as all but two of my fish died from Columinaris and it turned into one great big problem tank. When I sold it I told her I was going to get a new tank later on but she said "maybe in spring time"...

Since December when I sold the 65 gall I've had two 10 gallon communities and a 6 gallon betta which was fine for a while but now im DYING to get rid of the two 10 gallons and buy a nice 38 gallon from Big Als.

I reminded her last night about getting a new tank in spring but now shes DENYING even saying that and said basically "no way, absolutly not for my new tank" :( :( :( :( I have the money and the tanks just go in my bedroom so its not like its hurting her in anyway...

I need some help with ideas to throw at her later. I already have one idea which is to buy some fish that grow to big for a 10 gallon then she will have to let me upgrade but im not sure if that will work...

Any help is appreicated. Thanks
Ask her what her reasons are for why she will not let you get a bigger tank. Than with those reasons you could make further come backs...lol.

Maybe make a pol on here, then show it to her later with all the people agreeing with you to get a bigger tank?

I like your idea for the fish that will out grow a 10 gallon!

-FHM
 
She thinks big tanks are too much trouble after she seen wut I went through with my 65 gallon with columinaris. She also said "everything is fine now just leave it" because whenever I start changing things around things seem to go bad.

Im starting to loose interest real fast as my tanks have become so boring now. I use to be able to sit infront of my 65 Gallon for hours and just watch but now 1 minute with these stupid tanks and im bored. :(

I have cory cats, harlequin rasboras, white cloud minnows, phantom tetras and a gold gourami( came from my 65 gallon). The gold gourami really needs an upgrade anyways as it is rather large and she was only suppose to be in the 10 gallon for a couple months as she told me I could get a new tank. Keeping her in there perminintly is inhumane, maybe I will try that one on her.
 
I wouldnt advise getting fish that outgrow a 10g in case you dont get a larger tank for them, it wouldnt be fair on the fish :)

Maybe she is just being cautious, what with the current global financial stuff going on, whilst you may be paying for the new tank, she has to consider the cost of running it, ie: electric costs etc, which may not be much to in the grand scheme of things, but it could be a concern for her.

Maybe explain that you would only have the one tank running and that you would sell the other tanks to make way for a larger tank, which would only be running 1 filter, 1 heater, 1 set of lights.
 
I wouldnt advise getting fish that outgrow a 10g in case you dont get a larger tank for them, it wouldnt be fair on the fish :)

Maybe she is just being cautious, what with the current global financial stuff going on, whilst you may be paying for the new tank, she has to consider the cost of running it, ie: electric costs etc, which may not be much to in the grand scheme of things, but it could be a concern for her.

Maybe explain that you would only have the one tank running and that you would sell the other tanks to make way for a larger tank, which would only be running 1 filter, 1 heater, 1 set of lights.


I know :) I would make sure I have a back up plan for the larger fish if I am to go that route, dont worry. Im going to try the getting rid of the two 10 gallons and just have one set of equiptment instead of 2 and i will promise her this is the last tank i will ever buy in her house.

I think I'll wait till the weekend when shes had a few drinks before I bring this upon her again :)

Thanks for all the ideas. I could use more just incase these dont work :)
 
I don't know how old you are but here's an idea, just pick one that suits...

Say that your getting bored with fish keeping as what you want will not be happy in the smaller tank.

Instead you want to start saving for a motorbike, hang glider, maybe a mountain snowboarding holiday or something as equally as dangerous. All these things are a nightmare for parents (I know, I've been there) then she may be happy to have you at home with your mega-tank :good:
 
I don't know how old you are but here's an idea, just pick one that suits...

Say that your getting bored with fish keeping as what you want will not be happy in the smaller tank.

Instead you want to start saving for a motorbike, hang glider, maybe a mountain snowboarding holiday or something as equally as dangerous. All these things are a nightmare for parents (I know, I've been there) then she may be happy to have you at home with your mega-tank :good:
:lol:
Couldn't have put it better myself!
 
make a power point explaining how much it will cost to run a month, and if you are, maybe you pay that cut of the leccy bill.

ask her why it is going to bother her or harm her, and then base your arguments on your findings.
 
I don't know how old you are but here's an idea, just pick one that suits...

Say that your getting bored with fish keeping as what you want will not be happy in the smaller tank.

Instead you want to start saving for a motorbike, hang glider, maybe a mountain snowboarding holiday or something as equally as dangerous. All these things are a nightmare for parents (I know, I've been there) then she may be happy to have you at home with your mega-tank :good:
:lol:
Couldn't have put it better myself!
Now that is a brilliant idea!

-FHM
 
I've just spoken to her over the phone right now while shes at work about another issue and I had the nerve to bring up the tank issue(I couldnt help it) I said that Goldy( my gold gourami) really needs a bigger tank as shes too big for 10 gallons and is not happy( she seems to be fine though but she really does need more space) she hummed for it a bit then I mentioned I would sell the two 10 gallons and she seems to be a little better with the idea now. :) :) :) :)

So tomarrow im going to "look" at tanks even though I already know which one I'm going to get and hopefully on the weekend I can presude her to pick it up with me in her truck. Then the fun will begin in setting it up and making my fish and me happy again.
 
I've just spoken to her over the phone right now while shes at work about another issue and I had the nerve to bring up the tank issue(I couldnt help it) I said that Goldy( my gold gourami) really needs a bigger tank as shes too big for 10 gallons and is not happy( she seems to be fine though but she really does need more space) she hummed for it a bit then I mentioned I would sell the two 10 gallons and she seems to be a little better with the idea now. :) :) :) :)

So tomarrow im going to "look" at tanks even though I already know which one I'm going to get and hopefully on the weekend I can presude her to pick it up with me in her truck. Then the fun will begin in setting it up and making my fish and me happy again.
Thats awesome!

Hopefully it will all work out for you!

-FHM
 
By the way, thanks for all the tips and advice. I hope I dont have to go to any extremes but I will if needed as fishkeeping is an addiction and NOTHING CAN STOP ME :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: heheheheh
 
I don't know how old you are, but here's what I would do, and wish I had done when I was younger and in your situation. When I was living with my parents, I had 8 fish tanks in my room ranging from 5 to 55 gallons. Each tank looked sloppy, was sparsely decorated and was a revolving door of fish because I didn't have the resources to make them all look good and I didn't have the maturity to make a plan for the tank and stick to it. What I should have done was, rather than trying to feed my addiction for more fish tanks, devote my resources of time and finances to a single aquarium to make it look as good as possible with extensive planning of stock and aquascape. (If you need convincing that one tank can be satisfying, take a look at aquariumdesigngroup.com. I'd be content with one aquarium if it looked like that!) With that goal in mind, I would have had plenty of money to make the tank look great and a heightened sense of satisfaction.

In the meantime, save the extra money so that when you move out you can afford something much bigger than 38 gallons. I'm finding that anything under 100 gallons is becoming very frustrating because it just can't handle what I want to do with it.

Your current course of action is reinforcing the thought that is likely in your mom's head that this is a phase and you are fickle. While you've shown responsibility in saving the money, by selling off your last big tank because you got frustrated with the problems you were having, and your current interest in badgering your mother until she caves, you are outweighing that act with a great deal of immature behavior. By doing what I've said, I think you will not only be more satisfied with your aquarium, but you will also be showing your mom that you can keep fish in a mature and responsible fashion, and it may lead her to give you that upgrade a little sooner than when you move out.

I'm sure this isn't what you want to hear, but I'm certain that from the perspective of your long-term satisfaction, this is the best course of action. As I grow more mature as a person and hobbyist, I find myself decreasingly obsessed with how many aquariums I have and how many different types of fish I can cram into a tank, and increasingly obsessed with an aquarium that looks as good as I can make it and operates smoothly and efficiently. Don't get me wrong, I'd still love to have 47 aquariums so that I could keep every different type of fish, but it has to be realistic for your lifestyle.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top